“Absolutely Fantastic”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento, California
“Absolutely Fantastic”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Impeccable hotel, excellent service. My favorite feature? Definitely the chocolate chip cookies that they leave on the bed. My parents and I stayed here, and this is definitely the sort of place that is only suitable for mature, calm children. The mature setting and fine decorum are perfect for anyone's vacation to Washington, D.C. or Virginia.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear AKG1996,

I’m very excited that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you found our service to be excellent. It sounds like you really enjoyed our homemade cookies. Do you miss them?
Do you want more? We have two options!
Nr.1: Come back as soon as possible.
Nr. 2: Contact me directly at the Hotel at 703.838.800 and I will send you a box of cookies.

Talk to you soon!

Tobias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Caledon, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

excellent concierge...they lent me two umbrellas during a rain storm. This hotel is in a great location for visiting both old town and even for DC. The street is quiet at night but still just steps to the main street. easy walk to the water front, all kinds of restaurants nearby, the public transit is just at the other end of the street and is inexpensive and feels very safe.
The nightly wine party was very 'stuffy'. several people attended that has a very high opinion of themselves which provided some entertainment for my wife and I - we love watching people make fools of themselves. Same thing at breakfast the following day...lots of people with ego.
We had a king room which was small - dont get anything less than king. I didnt like that the bathroom had no exhaust fan particularly during shower time and potty time. We had a bad view but it just could have been the room, I am sure there are better views than we had.
We stayed three nights and it was very nice. It was a business trip so the company paid...dont know if we would even look at this place if paying ourselves.
It was our first time in Alexandria so have nothing to compare it to but was still a very nice place when considering other locations we have stayed at.

Room Tip: make sure you get at least a king room if there are two of you!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Real_Duke_of_Hockley
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear travelersK&W,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad that you were pleased with our concierge service and that you enjoyed our convenient location. Our complementary, manager hosted wine reception that we fetcher every evening from 5pm to 6pm is available to all of our guests every day. I host at least one of the seven weekly wine receptions and I must have missed the day you are referring to. I truly enjoy the conversations I have with our guests during this time and I have not had the same experience you described.
We have three different room types at the Morrison House and our King Deluxe rooms and of course our Deluxe Suites are the most spacious rooms we have. Many of our rooms have great views overlooking Old Town and some of them even overlook a part of the George Washington Masonic Memorial which was built in the 1920s.
Please contact me directly the next time you are planning to be in the area. I will personally take care of your room assignment and I will try to host the wine reception on that night to loosen up the crowd a little bit for you.

Yours,

Tobias Arff
Fredericksburg
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I have stayed here multiple times over the years.. This hotel has always been a great place to enjoy the Alexandria area. Great location, nice clean rooms and common areas.. I did eat at the piano bar restaurant and the staff there couldn't have been nicer. When I couldn't find anything appealing to me they offered to make me something I wanted.. so a nice turkey sandwich was prepared for me which didn't even appear on the menu.. Some may think that's a small thing but simply demonstrates their dedication to customer service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear travelersK&W,

Thank you for being a frequent guest of the Morrison House. I’m very grateful for the nice feedback and I like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with other travelers. I agree with you that sometimes small things can make a difference and I’m glad that our team listened to you and got you what you wanted. A Turkey Sandwich!
Let me know when you will be back and the next Turkey Sandwich will be my treat for you!

Respectfully,

Tobias
Fairfax Station, Virginia
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Morrison House is a wonderful hotel tucked away in beautiful Old Town Alexandria, VA. Though it is part of the Kimpton Hotel chain, you will feel as though you are a guest at a wonderful country estate; even the outer façade looks more like an elegant home than a hotel.

We stayed at the Morrison House on a whim; we were attending an evening event in Old Town and we thought it would be fun to stay away from home for just the night. Our deluxe king room was wonderful, with a beautiful large four poster bed, chandelier, cozy bath robes, and a fairly large bathroom.

The location of Morrison House is perfect; just steps from King Street (the main street that runs through Old Town) and right around the corner from the Majestic Café (great food, a bit pricey) and the Red Rock which is a little more laid back and has very unique and tasty pizzas and calzones. Two shopping recommendations on King Street: don’t miss European Country Living, I’ve been going there for years for distinctive accessories; and Olio, a new store that specializes in olive oils and balsamic vinegars – you must try the fig balsamic vinegar.

There are few additional complimentary touches that make Morrison House especially unique:

• It’s pet friendly; and at no additional expense!

• Though we missed the wine reception at 5 PM daily, we have heard from others that it is quite nice.

• If you join the Kimpton Guest Loyalty Program (there is no cost to join) you have access to free Wi-Fi in the guest room.

• There is a free shuttle to and from Ronald Reagan National Airport. We’re local so we didn’t use this service, but trust me this is a nice perk and money-saver.

There is one small issue I would change/address during our next stay: our 3rd floor room was located next to the storage room for the cleaning carts and supplies. It was a bit noisy first thing in the morning when we were trying to sleep in and enjoy the room for a little extra bit of relaxation.

One last tip: watch for specials. We booked our stay at Morrison House through a social media website and friends have done the same and saved 20 to 30 percent on the room price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dalferes
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The charm of this beautiful hotel pours from the design of the room and the smiling and extremely courteous staff. I recently hosted a baby shower/tea party for about 15 guests in the parlor and was incredibly impressed with the food, the beautiful decor, and the royal treatment from the staff. Everyone who attended had a lovely time and I have no doubt will return to stay/eat. Although I did not spend the night, I plan to book a room on my next trip to DC. I highly recommend the Morrison House if you want to throw a private party or event. From start to finish I had a fabulous experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you so very much from The Grille at Morrison House. Every Saturday we offer Tea and I am so glad that you and your guests were pleased. We certainly look forward to your return visit!

Dan Underwood