“Stylist Grace seems to be in wrong profession. Wish I had picked a different salon.”

Sugar House Day Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 22 September 2017

I visited Sugar House for the first time this week for a haircut with the stylist Grace. Since it was my first time meeting her, I wanted to be sure that she would communicate to me what her plans were and that she understood me, as well. Unfortunately, she did not seem concerned in communicating with me, mostly giving one word answers or not answering my questions at all, and not following up with my descriptions of how I wanted my hair cut. After basically ignoring me during our consultation, she left me waiting alone with wet hair for about 15 minutes after the shampoo.

It was one of the most stressful experiences I've ever had in a salon, and I expected more from the Sugar House. Of course, after not communicating with me and not listening to me, the haircut was not what I asked for. Nobody wants an angry person wielding scissors at their head. It is an awkward situation for the client to be in-- I considered getting up and leaving at a couple points but decided to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I was really disappointed with the service and lack of communication skills I found in the stylist. I don't ask much of a stylist, but I do expect to be heard and respected when communicating about the service I am paying him or her to perform on my own hair. The lack of communication by the stylist at Sugar House was completely unacceptable.

1  Thank TheDistrictTraveler

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I've grown used to the comfiest bathrobes, well stocked amenities and exemplary services. I expected Sugar House to be okay but not as nice as my first love, the Hershey Spa. Sugar House exceeded all of my expectations. Facial and massage were fantastic with Rose and Violet. I appreciated the suggestions on lotions and potions without the hard-core sales pitch. And the atmosphere was peaceful and lovely. The spa was expensive but seemed fair for the area and services.

My only complaints are that the spa is in an ancient building or buildings so everything is on a different level - up a bunch of stairs here, down a few there, up more here. It was a bit irritating and because of the age of the building I don't know that it's ADA accessible so if that is needed suggest calling to check. Parking was also an issue. Old Town has arcane parking limits of two hours for street parking and local parking garage was $15. So that's a bummer on an otherwise nice visit to the spa.

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Yesterday was my first trip to this or any spa. It was a special occasion, so I had several services done (massage, body scrub, facial, eyebrow wax, mani/pedi). I wanted the works and after reading reviews, decided Sugar House was the place to go.

I don't even think mu review will do justice to the treatment I received. From the front desk to the changing room, right down to check out. These ladies are ANGELS. To Violet, Monica, Angel, and Ana, thank you from the bottom of my heart! These ladies were patient with me, walked me through each of my services, asked the right questions, and made me feel as if I was floating!

If you're looking for a great spa, look no further. Sugar House id the place to be!!!

1  Thank April B
Reviewed 14 December 2016

Admission - I have joyfully given my spare coin to this amazing spa for fifteen years now. The atmosphere is southern comfort. Housed in a former Sugar Processing Estate from the 18th century, this is not one of those zen like places, but I guarantee, after a massage or treatment, you will float out of the place! This full service salon runs the gamut from the tip of your toes to your head!

I cannot recommend this spa enough, it's just my happy place on earth!

2  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 20 November 2016

I was traveling to Virginia by plane, with a massage scheduled a few hours after my scheduled arrival. I had flight delays, and kept the spa in the loop throughout. I ended up making it just a few minutes late, and appreciated the kindness and flexibility of the staff.

Dominique did a very good massage - she asked good questions and paid attention to my answers for the technique. I appreciated the stretching that she did to my limbs - a nice addition. It's a nice location with some good amenities.

Recommend.