“Quaint Home, Nice Breakfast”
Review of Magnolia's On King

Magnolia's On King
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolia's On King is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #116 of 878 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: USD 20 - USD 50
Cuisines: American
Description: Magnolia's On King offers Southern Immersion Cuisine in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. Magnolia's On King is proud to use sustainably raised and grown ingredients from regional farms and purveyors. Our food is cooked fresh, to order. All desserts are house-made. The Palm Lounge, our second floor craft cocktail experience, features comfortable seating to enjoy one of our specialty cocktails including our signature Magnolia's Old Fashioned. Our full dinner menu is also served in the Lounge. Magnolia's can also accommodate groups of up to 60 people for private and semi-private events.
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Food -
Sangria - Not the best, but okay. Save your $$
Crab Dip - Amazing. This was spicy and delightful. Served with bread. Enough for 2
Fish & Grits - not much flavor in the grits
Banana's Foster French Toast - unless you are starving, get the kid size. This is really very well done.
Biscuits - just okay

Location: King Street, Old Home, Quaint
Service: There were only 2-3 servers for the entire Sunday brunch; seemed kitchen was slow.

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed 6 June 2017

When we first arrived in the area I had made a reservation here, we arrived earlier than expected but had no problem getting seated. Good drinks and an excellent dinner with great service inspired us to return a week later on our last night and repeat the experience. On my first visit I had the pork chop which was perfect. On the second visit my wife and I both ordered the shrimp and grits. - Awesome !
We were seated at the same window table upstairs both times just coincidently but we enjoyed eating and looking out the window at the action on King Street. Great restaurant.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 30 May 2017

I had high expectations for Magnolia's on King, and came away quite disappointed. The service was slow, the food variable (my date's shrimp and grits was quite tasty; my soft shell crab was dry and the succotash beneath it starchy and flavorless). The menu itself was uninspiring -- with the exception of the cocktail menu. Cocktails were creative and tasty, if miniaturized. Prices were steep for the experience.

One note: if you do visit Magnolia's on King (and frankly, you could do better), ask to be seated upstairs, rather than in the downstairs room with the jaundice-colored walls and awkward acoustics -- definitely a better ambience.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Raining day but the food brighten up the day. We looked at every menu on King Street but my nieces were stuck on Chicken and Waffles so we chose Magnolia. Not a mistake at all the food was excellent, they loved their chicken and waffles, my sister in law and I split our dishes; we had crab benedict served over puffy/flaky biscuit and crab omelet. Simply delicious and satisfying one of the best brunch places in Old Town Alexandria.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I've been to Magnolia's On King twice and have had the same experience both times. The food is outstanding - everyone in the group has loved their dishes and raved about them extensively. I'd go back even now for the food (especially the crab dip) and cocktails, but not unless I had hours to spare for a meal. The service here is extraordinarily slow. It'll take 10 minutes to get water after you're seated, then another 10-15 before your server comes over to take additional drink orders. Better get your appetizer order in then as well because it'll again be another 10-15 minutes before you see your server to order your entrees. This has happened both times with the same server, not sure if this is just her style or what, but it really puts a damper on the excellent meal.

So, go here for the food - honestly. It's amazing. But prepared to have AT LEAST 2 hours set aside for just an appetizer and dinner. Anything post meal will tack on another 30-60 minutes.

Management response:Responded 28 May 2017

Hello Rachel R,

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback on your dining experience at Magnolia's. I am still new to Magnolia's, so your review has been a real asset for me as a training tool for our staff. We would like to invite you back, as we are definitely working on our timing. Please contact me here at the restaurant when you have a moment.

Matt