“room not accessible, refused to cancel”

Best Western Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 18 July 2017

On Saturday July 8th, I traveled to Alexandria for the memorial service for both my parents. I had reserved a handicapped accessible room at the Best Western Mt Vernon. I found this room on Booking.com, and booked it because it was the only room in the area listed as having a roll-on shower. I then checked the room on the Best Western website. At this time I did not realize that the Best Western Mt Vernon would feel no concern or responsibility for customer satisfaction for bookings made through Booking.com, and certainly no concern for their disabled guests.
We called down to the desk when we discovered that the shower had a 3 inch lip, and not only could not be rolled into, it was also too narrow for a shower chair. As soon as we said, "We booked a handicapped accessible room," the clerk went into a long tirade about how it was not accessible, and it was Booking.com's fault for listing it that way. The exact same description of this room was also on the Best Western Mt Vernon's own site. The bed was also 5 inches higher than my power wheelchair, and I had a very scary time getting into it.
When I asked the clerk at the front desk the next morning how they could sell this room as handicapped accessible, with a roll in shower, she responded " I don't know," without looking up. The clerk wouldn't even let me cancel the next night's booking. She said I had to go through Booking.com, and wouldn't even record that I was leaving the hotel. Booking.com has no place to indicate that I needed to cancel because the room was not as described. I finally found a phone number, but eventually gave up hope of ever reaching a human at the other end. Then I found that it was Best Western who charged my card, not Booking.com
If nothing else, I feel obligated to warn other disabled potential guests and anyone who is concerned about fair treatment for the disabled, to avoid the Best Western Mt Vernon, and to avoid booking through Booking.com. I spent the next night at a Hampton Inn and all was as it should be.

Room Tip: Do not go here if you need a wheelchair accessible room, or for customer service.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 July 2017

The staff was friendly and great, however, the room smelled like mildew. The air conditioner made the room clammy. The bathroom was moldy and the bathtub did not have a plug. The pillows were lumpy and the lighting was poor. The rooms need to be refurbished.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2017

I was there for one night. Was really disappointed to see the outside but inside decor was appropriate. There was a bad odor in the hallway but rooms were nice and comfy. Breakfast was fresh and hot and staff was friendly and professional. Good place for the amount paid.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2017

We visited Washington DC every single day. The hotel is about six miles from two different metro stations. This BW hotel had extremely helpful staff and our room was clean and the breakfast offered many good choices. There were multiple restaurants in the area and there was a nice shopping mall less than 10 miles away. We would definitely stay at this hotel again when we come back to visit Washington DC.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Lovely, clean and comfy rooms, reasonable price, with 24 hour fresh coffee station. Sidney, the manager, was very helpful to us when we encountered a problem with our booking. Great Peruvian chicken restaurant next store with fresh, delicious food. Best for travelers with a car as metro station is a bit far away. Had a wonderful, restful stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Travellers also viewed these Alexandria hotels
Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria South
Quality Inn Mount Vernon
#31 of 54 in Alexandria
8.9 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir

Been to Best Western Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Best Western Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir

Address: 8751 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22309-4223 (Formerly BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir)
Region: United States > Virginia > Alexandria
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Restaurant Wheelchair access
#3 Best Value Hotel in Alexandria
Price Range: $108 - $171 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Best Western Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Mount Vernon Hotel Alexandria