“Very unfriendly but good food selections”

No photo provided
Cuisines: American, Deli
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 11 March 2016

I've taken out lunch from Nickell's but always found the deli unfriendly. They have some nice dishes, but none that I would go back to immediately. There are better places in Old Town

Date of visit: March 2016

Reviewed 1 April 2015 via mobile

This place is ok. It wasn't particularly clean when I went, and a lot of their food seemed to have been out for a while. I probably won't be back.

1  Thank QuickWhitTravel
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Susan and Louie are delightful, will work with you on a lovely catered dinner, and will also provide you terrific sandwiches and the best vichysoisse you have ever had. Their meats are home cured, and their soups are divine. A go-to caterer and eatery

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank Dressygirl
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I ducked in here as it was raining. I decided to get a quick bite. I read the chalkboard and one caught my eye "Cajun Chicken Sandwich." I asked what makes it Cajun? They guy at the stove said chipotle and wasabi. I replied those aren't Cajun ingredients. To which he SNAPPED "No ones complained before." I said I was just asking don't need to be rude. He harumphed. I never encountered that before!

The gal at the register was much nicer, every time I asked a question about the ingredients he would snap "that's how we make it." Fine and good, but I didn't care of any of the flavor combinations or ingredients they offered. I was about to leave when the downpour began so I decided to just bide my time and get something.

BIG mistake. The Ham and Cheese panini was horrid! Half a sandwich! with gristly, fatty meat and hard cheese. There was a smear of mustard on the bread. I ate only the bread slices and the two cornichon pickles they considered appropriate. I've been in the restaurant industry since I was 13 and this was the worse excuse of deli food I've EVER encountered.

Perhaps I had high expectations due to the fact I grew up in New Orleans and was stationed out side of New York for true deli's but Subway was so much better! Even with their yoga mat bread!

Bad attitude, bad food; just bad all around. I tell EVERYONE at the bar I work at DO NOT GO! As a bartender, it's my duty to inform my guests and protect them

Date of visit: April 2014
1  Thank atasteofcreole
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Susan and Louie, the owners, prepare excellent, fresh food. They take great pride in their preparation and freshness and the prepare specials each day. You can stop by and get take out for prepared dinners for one or two, which are excellent. The sandwiches are fresh, the meat is fresh, and they are made to order. Her soups are very good as are her salads. I've never had a bad meal there and there's always a smile for you when you go through the front door. It's a small place, so get there early for lunch, or get take out. Or stop by on the way home and grab your dinner.

Date of visit: June 2012