“Enjoyable experience”

Vermilion Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Vermilion Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 836 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fayette St.
Transit: King St. Metro Station Using the King Street Trolley, get off at the Fayette St. Stop coming in either direction.
Description: Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Tried Vermilion as the kids were home from school and one has dietary restrictions - Gluten and eggs. I called in advance and they said most of the menu could be adjusted to accommodate. They were extremely flexible and the food was delicious. Stand outs included the foie gras, duck toast, duck breast, salmon, and short ribs.

We shared all of our meal options family style and it worked very well, similar to a tasting menu.

Other than the sorbet the dessert options either contained gluten and/or eggs, which is a disappointment. They kids decided to split the chocolate cake, as the one with the dietary restrictions can tolerate a little of each and was willing to take a chance. Based on how good the cake was, she would say it was worth the risk.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

My group of 6 had a wonderful time at Vermilion celebrating a birthday. The atmosphere there is lovely and warm, and you can actually hear your tablemates. The service was spot on and the food was delicious. A few little extras made the evening even more memorable. I wish I lived near OT so I could go here more often.

Notables: Warm Squash and Maitake starter, any pasta but especially the mezzelune, scottish salmon, and duck breast.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

I was with a group, and it seemed that everyone had a great dinner here. We also had excellent service. I was excited to see they had a vegetarian tasting menu option, and the dishes I had were really great (I can't remember now what they all were).

Reviewed 19 February 2018

We dined here our last night in town after a recommendation from Hank's Oyster Bar. The menu is eclectic and innovative. The chef most likely enjoys the challenges of using local products to make original combinations of food. For example, on the bar menu, steak tartare is served with crispy Brussels sprouts, smoked egg yolk, and peanuts; the
Vermilion burger has, in addition to the 100% Virginia angus, bacon mushroom jam, charred onion buttermilk, and raclette cheese. There were other instances on the main dining menu including the added local Brussels sprouts in my primavera. The restaurant was packed but we were able to snag two seats at the bar where dinner is also served. Nate, our server and bartender, was a pro at his craft. Nate used house made bitters, locally sourced beverages, and had an excellent knowledge of the menu. There is a lighter lounge menu with salads, dips, duck wings, steak tartare, and sandwiches or the main dinner menu.
We started by sharing a locally sourced duck pate-like butter-with crusty slices of toasted baguette and an apple chutney. Hubby opted for the tender, medium rare, lean duck breast sliced and presented with a delicious brown sauce and mixed vegetables. I chose the tagliatelle with baby Brussel sprouts, pancetta chunks, and the creamiest sauce in the world. On top was a lightly poached egg designed to be mixed in to the pasta upon serving. I was impressed!
Not to be outdone, the dessert menu presented additional unusual combinations. We chose and LOVED the pine nut pie: an updated version of classic pecan pie with pine nuts. Out of this world!

Reviewed 16 February 2018

This place was a success. I looked all over Old Town for a romantic spot to eat dinner on Valentine's Day and I was not let down. The ambiance was perfect, the food was terrific, and the service was impeccable. If you're looking for a date night, this is the place to go!

1  Thank Douglas C