“great vegetarian tasting menu!”

Vermilion Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Vermilion Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 835 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fayette St.
Transit: King St. Metro Station Using the King Street Trolley, get off at the Fayette St. Stop coming in either direction.
Description: Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.
Reviewed 16 March 2018

I was with a group, and it seemed that everyone had a great dinner here. We also had excellent service. I was excited to see they had a vegetarian tasting menu option, and the dishes I had were really great (I can't remember now what they all were).

Reviewed 19 February 2018

We dined here our last night in town after a recommendation from Hank's Oyster Bar. The menu is eclectic and innovative. The chef most likely enjoys the challenges of using local products to make original combinations of food. For example, on the bar menu, steak tartare is served with crispy Brussels sprouts, smoked egg yolk, and peanuts; the
Vermilion burger has, in addition to the 100% Virginia angus, bacon mushroom jam, charred onion buttermilk, and raclette cheese. There were other instances on the main dining menu including the added local Brussels sprouts in my primavera. The restaurant was packed but we were able to snag two seats at the bar where dinner is also served. Nate, our server and bartender, was a pro at his craft. Nate used house made bitters, locally sourced beverages, and had an excellent knowledge of the menu. There is a lighter lounge menu with salads, dips, duck wings, steak tartare, and sandwiches or the main dinner menu.
We started by sharing a locally sourced duck pate-like butter-with crusty slices of toasted baguette and an apple chutney. Hubby opted for the tender, medium rare, lean duck breast sliced and presented with a delicious brown sauce and mixed vegetables. I chose the tagliatelle with baby Brussel sprouts, pancetta chunks, and the creamiest sauce in the world. On top was a lightly poached egg designed to be mixed in to the pasta upon serving. I was impressed!
Not to be outdone, the dessert menu presented additional unusual combinations. We chose and LOVED the pine nut pie: an updated version of classic pecan pie with pine nuts. Out of this world!

Reviewed 16 February 2018

This place was a success. I looked all over Old Town for a romantic spot to eat dinner on Valentine's Day and I was not let down. The ambiance was perfect, the food was terrific, and the service was impeccable. If you're looking for a date night, this is the place to go!

1  Thank Douglas C
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Had a lovely bottle of yeasty, dry champagne in the fun "red" lounge area. It was a little loud in the bar area, but felt like we were in a happening location. We were moved upstairs for dinner -- much quieter, though it was still busy. The Restaurant Week menu was generous and enticing. I had the endive salad -- loved the tart pomegranate counterpoint to the goat cheese, the insanely tender pork cheeks with black lentils, and the chocolate hazelnut tart -- so rich, recommended sharing! All beautifully executed, and delicious. Special kudos to Jay, the sommelier who recommended the champagne and one of the best wines I've ever tasted 2015 Domaine Du Meix Foulot Mercurey

Reviewed 21 December 2017

If you're looking for that special night out, this is not the place to go. But if you want an average meal, I guess this is as good as any. There were not many other diners, so at least there was not a noise issue to deal with.