“Wanted to like it better than I did”

Sam Phao Thai Cuisine
Ranked #107 of 765 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Right around the corner so I very much wanted to embrace this establishment. I love Thai food and was crossing my fingers. Service was swift as we sat down but a bit understaffed as more people flowed in and they were a little overwhelmed at the dinner hour.

A standard test for me is the classic lotus salad: it was bland and the peanuts on top were stale. My main entree was a red parang curry with chicken. While the curry sauce was delicious, the meat was overcooked (always hard with chicken) and even more disappointing was the absolute lack of vegetables in the dish. I ate way too many bamboo shoots. I did have three pieces of eggplant, which were terrific. My friend had the Drunken Noodles with pork; the wide fat noodles were often stuck together (ugh).

The restaurant was clean and bright. Both upstairs and downstairs had windows that allowed you to watch the foot traffic along King Street so the views are great.

I found this place to be very average; not awful, just average.

There are newer reviews for Sam Phao Thai Cuisine

Reviewed 8 April 2017

Went with a group for dinner. The consensus was the food was good, some dishes very good, but the service was fair at best. The food didn't all come out at the same time and getting refills of drinks was slow.

Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

Great food and wonderful presentation. Would definitely come again. Has the chicken pineapple served in a pineapple shell. Excellent. Pad Thai better than home.

Reviewed 5 January 2017

Maybe 12 tables total? limited seating so call ahead nice quiet "chill" atmosphere, no tv's blaring 30 different sports stations, loud groups competing for "volume festival conversations" few people texting and cell phones ringing every 2 mins.

Actually a place to have a conversation and enjoy some very good Thai food right on the main street in old town. Wonderful find, good service, ample portions, great food, and affordable for Old town Alexandria restaurants standards.

Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

The restaurant is located in a very narrow Old Town townhouse in an area of shops and restaurants. We found a city parking lot less than half a block away on Henry St, just south of the King Street intersection. Another reviewer mentioned a free parking lot, but we didn't see one. Alexandria has gone to the same method used in DC for street and city lot parking. Pay at a machine and get a paper receipt to place in your windshield.

Anyway, on to the restaurant. We sat upstairs as the downstairs was noisy with patrons and tv sound. The upstairs is nice and it was quiet as there were only 4 other diners. We arrived before 6 and our drinks were happy hour prices even though we didn't sit in the bar.

We ordered chicken satay, chicken pad thai, and chicken massaman curry (mild--and it was just the way I like it). Everything was delicious. The best Thai food I've had in a long time. The server was friendly and efficient. We will be going back.