“Cake decorating classes!”
Review of Occasionally Cake

Occasionally Cake
Ranked #18 of 27 Bakeries in Alexandria
Reviewed 6 August 2016

I got my daughter a groupon for a 2-hour cake decorating class here, something she has wanted to learn for a long time. She had a fabulous time in the class. She learned the basics of preparing a cake, then on a styrofoam cake base she learned to do a crumb coat. The group then started out learning to do petaling with a round tip frosting tube (using buttercream frosting). Then they did ruffles with a flat tip, and finally how to use a star tip to do swirls, seashells, flowers and rosettes.

The instructor/owner was cheerful and informative and I highly recommend this class.

Reviewed 12 July 2016

I found a deal for a dozen cupcakes on groupon. We also saw that they were a previous winner of cake wars, and it does appear they make some amazing cakes. The cupcakes were beautiful and they were even had gluten free. The frosting was amazing on my gluten free, but the cake part was very dry. As for our other 10 cupcakes there were mixed reviews amongst my crowd. We got a variety and some of the ones like dulce de lece and watermelon were liked while others like chocolate pear were just ok. We also learned the longer that they really need to be eaten by the first day or they start to dry out considerably. I would still recommend them if you have the groupon.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

My husband gave me a Groupon for the cupcake class in April. I had a fun time meeting other sugar junkies and we all learned to make cute cupcakes from fondant cutouts and buttercream frosting. The cupcakes were pre-made for us (thanks!) and that way we were able to focus on the decorating. We even got to taste different fondant and buttercream flavors! I really enjoyed this somewhat "insider" look at the bakery. The owner won an episode of Cupcake Wars and is very affable, as well as creative. She is happy to answer any questions you might have and we were treated to seeing another decorator present and working at another station on a totally unrelated-to-cupcake-decorating project while we were decorating cupcakes. My only disappointment was that I wanted to watch them use one of those huge mixers! LoL!

Reviewed 14 March 2016 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our cupcake decorating class this morning with Christina. She was an excellent instructor and was patient and kind all the way. I attended with my daughters and their excitement was most obvious as we made st. Patrick's day theme decorations from fondant. We definitely appreciate the craft put into making beautiful and attractive cupcakes even more after this experience. I highly recommend these people to any and everyone who like quality and taste. And a bonus is the owner want food networks cake wars!!! I'd say they are doing something good!

Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

I went to Occasionally Cakes to redeem a Groupon that I had purchased last year. It appeared that the shop was only open for pick-ups. There were only a few flavors to choose from. I've had these cupcakes from the Old Town location years ago and they were spectacular! Light, fluffy cupcakes with beautifully drizzled frosting.....
These-- not so much.
Some of the cupcakes were barely an inch tall; I must have gotten the runts of the litter. They were not moist at all, though the frosting was tasty. Disappointing. The quality of the cupcakes have gone down- at least in the dozen I picked up this weekend. Luckily, we only got them for us and not for an event.