“Excellent cupcake decorating class”
Review of Occasionally Cake

Occasionally Cake
Ranked #20 of 28 Bakeries in Alexandria
Reviewed 14 March 2016 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our cupcake decorating class this morning with Christina. She was an excellent instructor and was patient and kind all the way. I attended with my daughters and their excitement was most obvious as we made st. Patrick's day theme decorations from fondant. We definitely appreciate the craft put into making beautiful and attractive cupcakes even more after this experience. I highly recommend these people to any and everyone who like quality and taste. And a bonus is the owner want food networks cake wars!!! I'd say they are doing something good!

Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

I went to Occasionally Cakes to redeem a Groupon that I had purchased last year. It appeared that the shop was only open for pick-ups. There were only a few flavors to choose from. I've had these cupcakes from the Old Town location years ago and they were spectacular! Light, fluffy cupcakes with beautifully drizzled frosting.....
These-- not so much.
Some of the cupcakes were barely an inch tall; I must have gotten the runts of the litter. They were not moist at all, though the frosting was tasty. Disappointing. The quality of the cupcakes have gone down- at least in the dozen I picked up this weekend. Luckily, we only got them for us and not for an event.

Reviewed 11 September 2014

Purchased a dozen specialty cupcakes using a groupon here for my daughter's birthday. I was excited to have all of the different flavors, and they looked pretty. However, the flavor of all of them were....good. They were okay. I was expecting something dynamic, but no one could tell that these were specialty. My guests thought I just made them. The icing - not good not bad. It has a distinct Crisco texture, flavor, and taste. And in way excessive amounts. Nothing tart or bright in any of the flavors. I am glad I tried it, but probably won't be back. At $3.75/cupcake I definitely think they are not worth it. I would have been upset had I paid full price.

6  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My friend and I were wandering around Alexandria and found this place. What a pleasant surprise! Even though the selection was a little limited, it still offered a variety of flavors. I tried the cherry limeade and the lemon drop. Both we absolutely delicious! I wish I would've gotten more! I will agree with other reviews that the frosting was a little too sweet, but not to the point of being inedible. They were relatively inexpensive for the area and for cupcakes. I will probably go back the next I'm in the area.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

While visiting a friend in Alexandra, we stopped at Occasionally Cake to try some cupcakes. I ordered a Lemon cupcake and my friend ordered the Reeses cupcake. My cupcake was good, but the Reeses cupcake was way too sweet. My friend couldn't even eat half of it. It was a very cold day out so I was excited when I saw they had coffee too. Turns out they just brew a cup of coffee in their Keurig machine and then charge you $3 for it. Also, I realize that they majority of their business is in taking orders and making cakes. But if you're going to offer to sell single cupcakes, you should have a better place for customers to eat. They had a back room that had 3 tables with chairs - the kind that are usually on a patio; black iron. It was already cold in the building so obviously that made for a very uncomfortable experience with the iron. The next time I'm visiting, I'll try somewhere else.

1  Thank ktmk13