“Fairly strong choice for business”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rocky River
“Fairly strong choice for business”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

In DC for 7 day business meeting.

Hotel is a fairly strong choice for business traveler. The hotel is convenient to Old Town Alexandria, walkable to many restaurants. The beds are comfortable with newer, white linens. Rooms were clean and had newer carpets, robes, etc. Nice flat screen TV, clean bathroom with glass shower. There are some limits due to building structure (closet for hanging suits is very small), but overall decent rooms. There are not many good views available, but this is going to be true for all hotels in the area. Wi-fi available, but I did not use as I have aircard.

Service is good – coffee in the morning, wine at night. All the workers I encountered were friendly and helpful – well above average compared to other hotels I have stayed at. I did not try room service, but did eat at the hotel and the food was a little better than typical hotel food.

If you exercise, the facility is pretty good, free weight dumbbells, 2 bikes, 2 eliptical and a couple of treadmills – all machines have TV. Open 24 hours. Spa and steamroom also, but I did not try them.

Overall, a strong choice for business travel

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Dear Reginald666,

It appears a week with us on business was enough time for you to enjoy much of what the Lorien Hotel & Spa has to offer. I hope you will have the opportunity on your next visit to experience the spa and our room service cuisine which comes right out of our restaurant Brabo.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

very easy, lovely boutique hotel conveniently located by the metro and within walking distance (albeit we had perfect spring weather) to great restaurants. Staff is excellent and helpful. The decor is modern and clean -- that also means that the bathroom doors are sliding and don't actually lock. We travelled as a family so that was a little bit odd but it didn't' stop us from loving the hotel. You also get to use the pool at the bigger sister hotel, the Monaco, which was nice. The hotel also offered us a complimentary wine in the lobby which, quite frankly, was greatly appreciated!

Room Tip: become a member of the Kimpton traveller program. That also gets you free internet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear citymouse225,

I am delighted your entire family enjoyed their visit with us, and especially that you found our staff to be so friendly and accommodating. I am glad you enjoyed our proximity to the Metro as well as all our complimentary evening wine reception.

We look forward to your return,

Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

After spending 3 days at the Lorien Hotel and Spa I feel like a new person! From the minute we set foot in the door I relaxed which is a difficult thing for me to do. We were greeted by Peter the front office Manager and his staff they were so friendly and asked about our every need. We were escorted to our room which was the Terrace Suite and I have to say it was one of the most spectacular rooms that I have ever stayed in. The terrace which was large and private overlooked King St. and the monument, just a wonderful place to relax. The room itself had a separate seating area and the bath room had a LARGE walk in shower with a soaking tub... in the shower, amazing!

There are 2 restaurants to choose from and a deli onsite, we ate at everyone and I must say they were all fantastic but Brabo is truly the star! 5 star food and service.
If you like to shop, this is your town! Oldtown offers unique non chain store shopping which is unheard of these days. You can just spend hours being fascinated by the windows and the merchandise.

I can't wait to return to the Lorian. My husband and I usually go to New York for a get away but both decided that the one hour drive to the Lorien was much more fun and relaxing than the trips to NYC. Of course none of this would be true if it were not for the superior staff and beauty of the hotel itself. The Lorien a rare gem!

Room Tip: Ask for 301 the Terrace Suite
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear gclough,

I am so pleased Peter and our Front Desk team had such a positive and memorable impact on your visit. I am glad you enjoyed your wonderful suite, our restaurants and all that Old Town has to offer.

We are thrilled to be your new NYC!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I really enjoyed my visit. I was looking for something to do with my loved one that was affordable but luxurious and that's exactly what I received. U felt like my visit was a home away from home. The staff was awesome! Everyone was super friendly and accomodating. I'm hoping that on my next visit I will be able to enduldge in the spa experience but there will definately be a next visit!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Sinnamynn,

I am glad you chose us for your escape from the daily grind, and that you found our team to be so amazing. I am confident you can squeeze the spa in next time.

See you soon,

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I were looking at hotels in Alexandria and the Lorien looked very nice and it also received very good reviews. Staff was very nice upon check in and very friendly. The room and bathroom were clean and modern. Not like your typical hotel room. I do have one complaint about the bathroom-the bathroom door is a sliding glass door that has a 2 inch opening on either end and it is like that at all times. That was weird-In other words, when you are on the toilet, the person you are with can see in and also hear what you are doing because the ends of the bathroom door does not fully close.

A little pricey perhaps for some, but overall it was a nice hotel with a very good central location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sinmartin27
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear sinmartin27,

I was pleased to note you found our staff to be very friendly and that you found our guest rooms to be clean and modern. I am sorry the modern aspect of the bathroom did not afford you enough privacy.

We look forward to welcoming you back,