“If You Want to Stay in a 1st Gen HI&S then Stay Here”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 27 March 2012

First of all, beware of the temptation to purchase advance reservations because the room rates are seemingly too good to pass up. It's one thing if you've been to this hotel before and were satisfied with the stay, it’s another to have never stayed here and find out that it’s a big disappointed and then not be able to cancel your reservation or get your money back because you got suckered into "the deal". Even as a Hilton Diamond member, which usually affords one some perks when dealing with hotels, couldn't get me out of this obligation. Read the fine print of the advance reservation purchase agreement or accept your lumps when you end up with buyer’s remorse like me. I would gather that Hilton offers these "specials" to those hotels that are harder to fill because believe me they don't have to offer them at the Hilton brand hotels that are newer or newly renovated.

I am a business traveler and I am a Hilton Diamond member. I accidently purchased advanced reservations at this hotel because of the price and because I thought the hotel I selected was a HI&S that I had stayed at previously -which was actually the HI&S Mt. Vernon/Belvoir, Alexandria South about 7 miles SW of this hotel.

As a business traveler for the past 5 years I have stayed in a variety of Hilton brand hotels but mostly Hampton Inns (HI's), Hampton Inn & Suites (HI&S), Hilton Garden Inn's (HGI's), Embassy Suites, and Hilton's. Hilton, like Marriott, has a list of differnt brands under its name sake and are tier-structured based on a standard variety of choices and amenities that the hotel offers. I listed the above from the lowest to highest tiered chains -although Embassy Suites are by- far my favorite. There has been a burst of new Hilton hotel construction and renovation of older Hilton brand hotels in the past 5-10 years so I have had the pleasure and some displeasure of staying at new HI&S hotels and unfortunately this hotel, which is obviously in need of a major room lift. Right now the lobby is undergoing a renovation and as much as I like entering a HI&S with the new modern clean style look, I would much prefer the money be spent on the rooms where it is definitely needed here.

I stayed in room 217 and the first thing I noticed was the old HI&S decor. It looked worn and outdated compared to the new HI&S standards. Most new and renovated hotel rooms have the room temperature controls via a thermostat on the wall. This room still has the push-button and dial controls on the AC unit mounted below the window.

Looking at the walls and ceilings you notice signs of damage that had been covered up with spackle or popcorn ceiling spray. There are old wall and ceiling outlets and switches that had been removed and covered with blank panels. Cigarette burns in the carpet or places where the carpet has bunched together.

Most new and renovated HI&S rooms have the dial-adjustable or memory foam mattress' on the beds. This room still had an old box spring and mattress set. You could actually feel the springs crinkle underneath you as you shift on the mattress. In fact, the mattress springs felt worn out and seemed to slope to one edge of the bed.

The furniture and bed linens, with the exception of the duvet, looked outdated compared to new and renovated HI&S's I have stayed at. The wall outlet cover nearest the desk was broken off and hanging by the power cord of the desk lamp that was plugged in and I experienced an electrical short when I moved the desk over to retrieve the trash can. There was only one phone in the room on the coffee table between the two queen size beds. Most of the newer hotels have another phone on the work desk.

Another pet peeve I have of most Hilton hotels is the hotel provided high speed Internet service and this hotel was no exception. It is so slow that I had to use my corporate aircard plugged into my laptop to get better service. An aircard uses the cell phone towers for Internet connectivity was almost 3 x faster than the Internet service the hotel provides.

Most newer Hilton hotels provide wired and wireless connection choices, my room at this HI&S only has wireless. I used SpeedTest.net and SpeakEasy.net to test the speed connection in my room and I got a measly .5Mbps or 512Kbps -which in this day and age is the equivalent to a dial up connection. As a business traveler I rely on the Internet to reach back to my corporate network through a VPN to do email, download presentations, documentation, and files necessary to do my job and at these paltry connection speeds I might as well not have any Internet service provided by the hotel. I would rather pay for a substantial connection then use what the hotel provides for free.

Unfortunately, this is problematic across most Hilton brand hotels. Most hotels purchase an already undersized Internet connection from an Internet Service Provider and then that bandwidth has to be shared amongst the number of rooms the hotel has. On top of that, to keep users from hogging bandwidth from others they put caps on the download speeds to each room.

If the Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South says they’ve recently renovated the rooms, then they must be talking only about the bathroom which does resemble the same style and décor of newer HI&S’s with marbled sink basin and counters, tiled floors and bathtub/shower.

Unlike Embassy Suites and Hilton Garden Inns which have cook-to-order full kitchens for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, HI&S’s serve only breakfast and it usually consists of the usual continental breakfast fan fare of dried cereals, juices, and fruits but they also have waffle irons to make your own waffles, some kind of processed egg product, bacon, and sausage. It also serves muffins, bagels, toast, and a small selection of yogurts.

I highly recommend that if you want to stay in the Alexandria area that you stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria about 7 miles up the road.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. Try to get into the Hampton Inn & Suites Mt Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank stsabrmc
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

We appreciate your comments on your recent stay at our hotel. The advanced purchase discount program you booked your reservation through does not allow hotels to cancel or change reservations and this is the case with all Hilton Hotels. We are currently renovating our lobby and it will be complete very soon and pictures will be posted once it is done. In regards to your comments on our bedding, we have the same beds as in all Hampton hotels. They are "Hampton Bed by Serta". The mattress type you described is used by the Hilton Garden Inn hotels.

The entire hotel offers wireless internet service with the studio suites and one floor of the standard rooms offering both. If we know someone requires a wired connection, we surely try to accommodate them.

Our hotel offers many services and anemities that sets us apart from others such as our 24 hour shuttle service to Reagan National Airport, Historic Old Town Alexandria and Huntington Metro Station.

I hope you will consider giving us another chance when you travel to the Alexandria area.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Tough to find entrance at night even with GPS. Large breakfast area and rooms clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our hotel and I hope you will consider us on any return trips you have.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Straightforward hotel with no surprises. There's nothing to complain about. Here's what we liked the most:

1) Extremely Convenient Location: A simple drive to DCA (Reagan National Airport), Old Town Alexandria, National Harbor and anything else on the beltway. Even the most directionally challenged won't get lost.

2) Clean: After searching the net for a clean, reliable hotel in National Harbor, I booked here instead. I wasn't disappointed.

3) Spacious well lit parking surrounds the hotel so there are no long walks to the car.

4) Rooms: We booked a double with fold out couch and it was spacious spacious spacious.

5) Kitchen: A small kitchenette was stocked with paper towels. The refrigerater got cool, not cold. We would have appreciated a small freezer in the refrigerator for our ice cream!

6) Well built and Quiet. Even though the hotel was packed, we felt like we were the only ones staying there. The rooms are well insulated and quiet. There hotel is bounded by a parking lot and beyond that a golf course, a body of water, and highways -- it's extremely quiet inside and out.

7) Beds: Like sleeping on a cloud. Sheets very very soft.

8) Closet: For once, plenty of closet space with a double wide closet with two hanging racks and shelves.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Even though our room was directly across from the elevator, it was still quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank LaVida

Thank you very much for all the nice comments on your stay at our hotel. We strive to make all of our guests happy and comfortable and feedback from our guests helps us in working towards our goals. I will forward your comments to the rest of the staff and please stay with us again when returning to the area.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

It hotel itself is excellent but the entryway is very poor for the Handicap with walkers and wheelchairs. It is a long walk from the car to the entrance plus the doors do not automatically open. If the handicap person is by themselves, I do not know how they get into the property. Someone must open and hold the door for the person to get into the lobby. We were given a handicap room with a tub which my husband couldn't use very easily. I know in the future to request the "shower handicap room". This is vital information when dealing with the handicap. Every major hotel or motel should make this known to anyone requesting a handicap room. They were very responsive when we questioned the lack of accessibllity, but the access to this particular hotel is not the best for handicap individuals.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom situation for bathing if you have a handicap person in your group.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Clean facilities with good service.
Breakfast was ok.
Washrooms were small but clean

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family