“Take the Thali on weekends!!”
Review of bombay express

bombay express
Ranked #781 of 4,013 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: USD 5 - USD 10
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 23 August 2016

We stumbled on this place by accident on our way back to Dallas from San Antonio!!
The attraction for us was that it offered both North Indian and South Indian fare. However, as soon as we entered the restaurant, we found that they offered a Thali meal at $9.99 per head. The menu was limited but high on taste and the portions were filling. We had a choice of 2 chappatis or 3 pooris for the entree and we chose the pooris. The accompanying aloo gobi ( potato and cauliflower) subji and the palak paneer were just heavenly. A plate of rice and dal makhani with sweet lassi topped off a perfect meal. The restaurant is family owned and it appeared to me that the entire family was intimately involved in the running of this restaurant. There was the paterfamilias ( a gentlemen who was probably in his late 70s or early 80s) who quietly finished his meal and then went around making sure that all the guests were comfortable. He saw an old couple eating from one plate and personally brought another plate for them. His wife sat down for her meal next and after she was done, they quietly played with their grandchildren while the son and daughter-in- law were busy taking orders at the counter. A scene of charming domesticity which ( together with the excellent food) made the whole dining experience very enjoyable.
I heartily recommend the thali meal ( available on Saturdays and Sundays), but the other items are, I'm sure, equally good.

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

I went for lunch and enjoyed their daily special. It was so tasty and I cannot wait to go back. My husband ordered something that looked like a big flat triangular shaped bread and shared. The flavors were magical. I am awaiting my next adventure.

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

Fast service and food. Tastes fresh. Staff are friendly and nice. My go to place for my dosa fix. Samosas are also good. Husband liked the paneer curry.

Reviewed 23 June 2016

The staff was very helpful, but this wasn't my cup of tea. I wasn't familiar with the menu. My order was suggested by the cashier. I didn't enjoy any of it.

Reviewed 20 June 2016

We especially like to go on weekends when they have the vegetarian thaali on the menu. The dosas are huge and delicious.