“Romantic, cozy, clean, and fun! Did I mention the clawfoot tub?”

Austin's Inn at Pearl Street
Ranked #8 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Hello Fellow Travelers!

I know it has been a while and I always have the tendency to skip around on my trips but this one is a real treasure so sorry for the delay.

Husband and I stayed here for our 6th Anniversary in The French Room. Funny we checked in on the same day as a wedding and the French Room has a window seat which looks directly out to the court yard and fountain. As you can imagine, it was decorated very tastefully, fresh flowers everywhere, romantic decor with lights in the trees, and a big tent for dining. We stayed upstairs most of the visit and we found ourselves peeking down on the wedding occasionally. Very neat to watch a couple start their life together as we celebrated our Anniversary.

Checking in was, interesting. The Inn manager was very very busy with the wedding, we weren't treated as outsiders or unwanted... per se, but to be frank she did seem very annoyed with us. She wanted mostly to hustle us along to our room, which was gorgeous anyway. In a way it was understandable. But I don't particularity like to be rushed if I am a paying customer, and I did miss some photo ops, but I guess I am not paying wedding reception and several booked room rates, so clearly we were pressed far far down the list of important guests.

I know how stressful weddings can be so I am more than happy to give her a little pass on her hastiness. I have her name written down somewhere, I will find it and give it later. Her young assistant ( have her name too) was very helpful and kind. Considering we had nothing to do with the wedding, I felt it was an explainable pass off of duties. Just didn't particularly care for the fact we were treated a little like an embarrassment and like 2nd rate customers b/c we had luggage to tote across the courtyard. She even said... "Can you be any louder?" and she did look at our regular street clothes with a turned up nose a little rudely with no intention of concealing it, well, lady it is not really my fault my luggage has wheels which make noise and I am not dressed in wedding guest attire, perhaps you forgot we had nothing to do with the wedding. Hmmmm.... If that's a real problem, this place needs a valet or a back entrance, instead of being made to feel bad about myself.

She was just stressed out and fussy and wanted everything to be perfect for the wedding party, I get that, but a little kindness can go a long way. That was about the only single bad thing about it, I just wanted to get that out of the way 1st. We did squeeze in a complimentary glass of wine and small bowl of white chocolate chip trail mix by the fountain after we got our bags to our room, so maybe the manager realized she was a tad harsh. We clearly knew when to make ourselves truly scarce!

Aside from that, and much more importantly, the Room , the Inn, the Grounds, and the entire experience was wonderful.

The room: The French Room here is FANTASTIC. The decor is cream and butter yellow with touches of navy blue country scenes and checked bed ruffle and foot of the bed blanket. Also there was a crystal chandelier. A very classy touch. There is a 4 poster bed with high end linens. I particularly cared for the attention to detail that was given to fabric choices. I also liked the way the room was set up. It maximized each available square inch.

The room had a nice view to the courtyard and had 2 window seats with custom cushions, a little side table nicely decorated and a chair. In essence it had created a little seating nook or a place to have some wine, champagne or coffee with your sweetie. The other side of the window had a seat as well as a small flat screen mounted tv. I cannot remember if we watched any tv, so I doubt we did. I love those details in a Boutique hotel!

Each room is different here and each has a theme of sorts. There are also common areas which allow you to go out on a balcony, watch some television or read in a nice setting, get a snack- paid by honor system, and other such amenities. The whole Inn is decorated in an eclectic style with lots of ornate mirrors, interesting carpet patterns, statues, neat lamps and nice furniture. If you like details , this place is for you.

Ok the Bathroom in our suite here was flat out AMAZING. The French Room has by any standard- a HUGE bathroom. There is a vintage clawfoot tub perfect for a hot soak and of course a nice tray for your to use. They had nice little set up in there too, there was even a chair, a small piece of furniture for Voss Water (not free, of course), and another shelf with coffee, a lamp, extra towels and mats. I liked that there was a small bouquet of fresh flowers on the sink vanity. I also appreciated the honeycomb flooring too, I wonder if it was original or what, I think it was being from Galveston and knowing real old vs new old. Either way it was a nice touch.

The French room is in the corner of the house, so you get a lot of windows but the light is soft and doesn't beam into any window at a harsh angle causing too much light or heat. It really is a sunny warm feeling happy room. I would recommend it, especially if you are going for a romantic trip.

Check out was so easy here. On the bed they posted a reminder that it was daylight savings time- and to please remember to set your clocks back. That's a nice touch if you ask me and I have yet to see it repeated anywhere.

After the wedding party died down and the guests were settling in their rooms, the clean up crew began to disassemble some of the decor. We thought it would be nice to venture outside. A gentleman offered to open the little bottle of wine we brought down with us without even a second thought or a cork fee, so that was really very nice. The room is great and so is the service, I would just check ahead of time to see if there is a wedding going on, as I have found out that it is a very popular wedding venue.

Knowing this info ahead of time may save you some embarrassment of rattling your luggage across a cobble stone floor as some bride walks the aisle! That did not happen to us clearly, but still- a little planning goes a long way!

Cheers and Happy Travels!
spl

Room Tip: Try the French Room as it is in the corner, has lots of windows, and a clawfoot tub!
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2017

This is a wonderful place to stay. Each room has a theme. We stayed in the Far East room. Although the bathroom was tiny, the room had a king size bed and a balcony. It was beautifully decorated. We peeked in some of the other rooms and they were equally beautiful. There are many areas around the Inn to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful Austin climate. Pecan trees and a very unique tree are there with tiny white lights. The complimentary breakfast was great--yogurt, cereals,hard boiled eggs, many breads and pastries, fresh fruit, meat and cheeses. It was perfect for us.The onsite manager, Kelly was also wonderful. Great conversations and very helpful. We were very happy with our choice. Our son lived only 1 mile away downtown and the sites we wanted to see were close by. Overall, a delightful place to stay! Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Decide what size bed you want--king or queen. Some street noise on the outer rooms, but not a proble...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

On the outside, it's lovely, but, that's all the charm. Our room, The tree House, smelled old. Furnishings are old, toiletries are cheap, continental breakfast is very limited, coffee is terrible & towels had hair. They charged me for 3 people x 3 days even though I told them that it was 2. To top it all off, the day we were leaving, I asked the receptionist if we could leave our SUV parked there because we were going to eat across the street (there were no cars in parking lot) She gave the ok. Later, she called to tell us that our SUV was being towed & that we had been parking in the wrong place. I can go on but, I think you get the picture. Terrible service!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

The Pearl is a wonderful little gem of a B&B. Everyone was so kind and accommodating and they had the best suggestions for places to go. The room was so comfortable and inviting. I loved all of the art work! The breakfast was perfect.

Seriously one of the best B&B's I've ever stayed in!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma M
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Very cool setting and really great and helpful staff. The AC needs to be a bit better for Austin summers. The Library room ended up being quite comfortable after the staff moved us there. I'd stay again.

Stayed: July 2017