All reviewsrainey streetfree margaritashappy hourlive musicsocial hourpool decksoaking tubhip hotelfun hotelcool vibelake viewbars and restaurantsfood trucklady bird lakegreat poolmini barconvention center
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

If I could give this place zero stars, I would. They give the Kimpton a horrible name.

I was planning on checking in 4 nights while visiting Austin for a work conference. My plane was very delayed so I called at 8pm to let the front desk know I would be checking in around 2am. They told me that wouldn’t be a problem.

Fast forward to 2am, when I go to valet my car. The valet was nowhere in sight. I went inside to ask about the valet and check in. Upon doing so, I was informed that my room was not available. The employee made up some BS reason that there were “maintenance issues”. They rebooked us at another hotel without informing us. In the 7 hours between when i called to let them know we’d be checking in late and actual attempt to check in, we did not receive ANY notification that our room was no longer available. No email, no phone, no text, nothing.

I let the manager, Nick, know that we would be cancelling the rest of our reservation (3 more nights) and would require a full refund. He stared at me with a blank expression throughout this entire exchange. He did not even apologize for this EPIC mistake. I travel all over the world throughout the year and have never, EVER not had a room to check into after making a reservation.

Aside from this giant error on the part of Kimpton Van Zandt, this hotel is in a very undesirable part of Austin. I even saw a prostitute standing on the corner. I would not feel safe walking anywhere outside of this hotel, so if you stay, expect to spend money for car services.

Shame on you, Kimpton Van Zandt.
Learn how to manage your bookings and while you’re at it, teach your “managers” how to handle disgruntled customers.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
4  Thank warmerhearts
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Van Zandt, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

warmerhearts;

Thank you for your detailed feedback. Please know we take this very seriously and will properly review with our team.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We’re still at the HVZ and have read the reviews, some negative. We have found the hotel and staff to be excellent. We have a King Corner and the room is a nice size and very bright. Very comfortable bed and housekeeping has been timely and thorough. The room could use some drawers in addition to the Armoir. I’m also very impressed with the Fitness Room, including the cool towels. Happy hour a nice touch. Geraldine’s is a nice venue for dining, but also like the nightly music.
I can see rooms on Rainey St experiencing noise. The street is wild!
Overall, we’re enjoying our 4 day stay.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Van Zandt, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Bruce B;

Thanks for staying with us and for sharing your feedback.
I hope to get the chance to meet you while you are here. I am typically in the lobby around 4-6pm most days. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

As a top tier member of IHG and Hilton chains, this was my first experience with Kimpton brand, which recently associated with IHG. A good thing which IHG really needed to pep up its top level hotels, including its just very slightly tired Intercontinental.

Our Kimpton Van Zandt experience was first class every step of the way.

As locals to the Austin area, we occasionally take a weekend getaway night in different downtown hotels. This was a spur of the
moment reservation near the end of SXSW event with we rooms at best downtown hotels averaging $500/night. I was pleasantly surprised they accepted my IHG free night certificate, and included a complimentary upgrade to 14th floor riverview.

I emailed the hotel the day before that it was a birthday celebration and didn’t hear back, but it was short notice. We were surprised and very pleased with the nice birthday card and complimentary extras waiting in our room.

While it’s nice this hotel is pet friendly, it’s a real big plus one can choose a pet free room. Which I did.

While some reviews complain about they feel are unfair high hotel and parking prices and blame the hotel, it’s a fact of life and par for the course in downtown Austin. There are less expensive alternatives further away.

Location is great, an easy stroll to Rainey Street restaurants and bars and the river for a run or long walk. It actually feels much safer in that area surrounded with upscale high rise condominiums than in the hotels closer to the seedier 6th Street area.

An overall outstanding stay and will be back.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AustinTexn
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Van Zandt, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

AustinTexn;

Thanks for the great review!
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and the team took great care of you. We appreciate the great feedback and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Back in October, I asked my Company global marketing team to book a feb stay at this hotel. We planned a four day HQ visit centered on this hotel stay. Approximately one week before our stay we were told that our reservations were being cancelled. Because another party needed our rooms. Clearly the newcomers must have been prepared to pay more. To add insult to injury the communications about this change were very haphazard. Some people received phone calls. Others an email. Some who called the hotel to clarify were told initially that their reservation was still good, further adding to the confusion. Then we were offered a free night at the hotel some other time as a concession. Ha! Why would we expect you to honor your commitments on a free room when you couldn’t even honor one that was paid?? Skin flint losers.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank Ccrosby60

Ccrosby60;

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TA community. I am not familiar with your issue from October but I would certainly like the opportunity to understand it a bit more. Feel free to contact me should you have a moment to discuss.

512-960-8761

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We chose to stay at the Kimpton Hotel Van Zandt for our wedding night. Having lived in Austin for 5 years before moving to Houston, we thought this was a great choice. However, the hotel failed expectations for every request that was made.

My father dropped off the luggage we needed for our honeymoon flight departing the next day. It was not delivered to our room, and we had to call down at 1AM to arrange for our luggage to be brought so we could actually have a change of clothes.

My mother in law had called and paid for some food and champagne to be delivered to our room. This was not completed, and upon arrival after dropping us off it took over half an hour to get even a response from the night manager and amenities staff who failed on this behalf. Then, when they said it was resolved and on the way, it took more than 20 more minutes to have it delivered. After a long day, we were tired and ready to have a great night together, and this just left us sitting around in a tux and wedding dress waiting for food to be delivered along with our luggage. We were unable to change, or even take a shower due to a lack of clothes and robes that would only fit the most petite of individuals available.

Finally, when we attempted to order room service for the next morning, we requested on the form it be delivered between 9:45AM and 10:00AM. We had to leave by 10:45 to get to the airport in time to check in to depart on our long travel for our honeymoon to the Maldives. At 10:15, our breakfast had still not arrived so I called down and was told it was being plated and on its way. At 10:30, it still had not arrived and we decided to leave so we could hopefully have time to grab something at the airport - considering we were not going to be eating this breakfast.

In every single attempt to make our night special, the Kimpton Hotel Van Zandt failed to perform. And in even the requests that should be expected to be fulfilled - such as basic room service, it was incomplete.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this hotel. From the time we arrived at 11:30, we were unable to even go to bed until 2:00AM because we were dealing with the hotel staff. Even then, we didn't even get breakfast the next morning.

For over $250 per night, go to the competition: go to the JW Marriott, go anywhere else, but this hotel is way overpriced for what you will be getting.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travis C
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Van Zandt, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Travis C;

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and the TA community. I believe I sent you an email yesterday morning to assist in resolving. As you can imagine this is not the type of experience we are known for and I have reviewed in detail with my team to ensure it is not repeated. If you would like to discuss further please contact me at your convenience.