“Hotel recommendation”

Sawyer and Co
Ranked #254 of 4,026 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: USD 3 - USD 20
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Sawyer and Co. is a Cajun and Creole style diner on the east side of Austin, Texas. We have a full craft cocktail bar, dinner menu as well as a breakfast and brunch menu with weekly specials!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Great fun clean open seating friendly staff this tasty very reasonably priced kitschy definitely worth a visit food was tasty.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We happened to be visiting Austin friends at Mardi Gras, and when we walked into this casual, funky place for lunch, they were handing out glass bead necklaces to their patrons. Our waitress was fun and friendly as well as giving very good service. Loved the Cajun menu. I had one of the several small plates available - excellent fried catfish, thin fries, coleslaw and 2 tender hush puppies - yum! My husband enjoyed his fried oyster small plate. All the food was well prepared and delicious. There's a good selection of beers to accompany the food and prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

I read a lot about this place and decided to give it a try while in Austin. It did not disappoint. I had the fried catfish and shrimp with fried okra and brussels sprouts. Everything was cooked perfectly. The brussels were cooked like I have never had them before. Seemed to be fried and drizzled with honey. I'm not completely sure about the cooking method but that is my guess. Regardless, I could eat a whole bowl of those if they were given to me! The waitress was really nice and told me about a couple of places to check out. I would definitely recommend this place!

Reviewed 6 February 2018

I've long been a big fan of Sawyer's, especially for breakfast, but a recent visit was disappointing. When we were first seated, we were forgotten in a back corner, and ultimately had to get up and go look for a server. Jamie came and did a good job thereafter.

I always love their delicious, bold coffee from Community Club, and Jamie kept our cups full.

I ordered the "Huey P. Benedict", which was a poached egg atop a bed of pulled pork, all resting on half a biscuit, topped with creole hollandaise sauce. This dish sounded good and looked good, but is seriously flawed! It is a huge mistake serving the deliciously gooey egg/hollandaise/pork on a biscuit half! The biscuit is crumbly and soaks up all the tasty liquids from the egg and the sauce and becomes a yucky, disgusting blob of dough that became quite unappealing. This dish would have been delightful had it been served using a toasted sourdough or an english muffin which would retain their texture and be more pleasant to eat.

When I offered my feedback to Jamie, she immediately snapped "We don't have english muffins at this restaurant!" I replied "THEN YOU SHOULD GET SOME!"

I ask the chef and the manager "What harm would it do to offer your customers a choice of muffin, biscuit, or toast as the base for the Huey P. Benedict, or for any other 'eggs Benedict' as well, especially if it gives you the chance to better please your customers?"

Unless they lose the biscuit, I recommend AVOIDING the Huey P. Benedict.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

I love their gumbo! It's one of my favorite foods already, and they really take the cake! Also, they make an amazing cocktail!

Been to Sawyer and Co? Share your experiences!