“Maybe I should have tried the hot pot”
Review of Shabu

Shabu
Ranked #788 of 3,871 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Their food is hit and miss. Don't order the soft shell crab tempura. 100% tasteless. My peppered chicken and noodles was very good. The lamb dish was lacking and quite greasy. Two others at our table were just okay with their orders. Nice atmosphere and good service though. Hot pot may be their speciality but none of us knew how it worked. Asians were there enjoying it so I imagine it might be good. Most dishes are about $15 so not outrageously priced. I've been there twice and each time one dish was good, the other was so so. I think I'm done but would go again if pushed.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

Really enjoyed the food The waitress was really helpful and helped us make the Shabu choices. We had the beef and various vegetables. We also had two different types of broth. So be bold and try it out.

Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

Must be our favorite Asian type restaurant. Hot Pot or noodles... It is always a pleasure.
Today we went noodles ... Singapore Flat for wife and Hong Kong Ribeye for me.

Reviewed 29 May 2016 via mobile

Hot pot cooking! Chose your broth; chose your protein and veggies; lots of mushroom varieties; you choose how spicy or what to mix into your hot pot; good appetizers and entrees if you don't want to do hot pot cooking; about $30/person without wine; we go about every other month; nice ambiance and service usually efficient on broth refills (which are free); better with at least 3 people, and them ore people the more variety.

Reviewed 11 May 2016

I've been figuring out to surprise my wife on our 45th anniversary, why not on a Shabu restaurant. Asked my son to join us and celebrate with us. When I mentioned to him he was very excited, something very novel.
The lady manager was very accommodating and very helpful as to what kind of choice do we want. I mention to her that a hot pot would be nice. She gave us the means to start and the ingredients we needed. It was basically personalized and nothing difficult. The food was delicious and the preparation was an enjoyment for both of us.
I would definitely recommend this to future customers and friends.
Lastly the establishment was immaculate.

Been to Shabu? Share your experiences!