“Decent but you can do much better”
Review of ALC Steaks

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: 12th Street
Description: Enjoy a delicious steak and a taste of Austin. You haven’t experienced the best of Austin until you've been to ALC Steaks. The capitol city's only independent, family-owned steakhouse serves sizzling, hand-cut, aged beef the way Austinites have loved it for over 19 years. From our rich, antique wooden bar to our relaxing, unpretentious dining room, everything about us says, "welcome." Our exceptional service and genuine hospitality are as inviting as the many signature items on our menu. Tonight's the perfect evening to discover something else great about Austin.
Reviewed 12 April 2017

I had dinner here last week and overall give this place a C+ to B-.

Pros: the "Cowboy Ribeye" (bone in) was very good. It was prepared well and had good flavor. The dinner rolls were literally hot from the oven and were very good.

Cons: The atmosphere is like being in a Texas Land and Cattle or Outback Steakhouse type of restaurant. It is in a strip mall and the parking is poor. The table and chairs were wobbly. This place is definitely not anything approaching a "high end steakhouse" although their prices are in line with places like Three Forks, Bob's and Flemings, etc.

Overall: I won't be back to ALC, I really don't see the point. If you want a mediocre steak in a decent setting go to Outback (and you'll pay $20 for the mediocre experience) If you want a great steak go to Bob's or any of a number of other choices in Austin..even a big chain like Ruth's Chris and get a steak that is much better than what you'll get at ALC and for the same price.

Catherine M, Owner at ALC Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2017

Kyle, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. However, we're sorry to hear you weren't too pleased with your overall experience. We are glad you enjoyed your Cowboy Ribeye, though. We're sorry you haven't always had a great steak -- we truly do believe we are a one of kind steak place in Austin, and we hope you give us one more chance to really wow you.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Great service. Went with group of 6 people and everyone loved everything. There sweet potato soup was amazing!

Catherine M, Owner at ALC Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

Rebecca, thansk for the great review! We're so glad you had a great time in with us and enjoyed your food. It sounds like the potato soup hit the spot. Come back soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2017

When I said I wanted a good steak dinner, I was expecting to sit at a picnic table with a big slab of meat hanging off my plate. This place is so cool! Very eclectic and trendy but the steaks are wonderful! Grill lines charred on the outside with tender and juicy inside. I usually order medium rare but this came out medium and was terrific. Had flash fried spinach with parmesan cheese. Again not what I expected but really tasty. Wait staff was timely and attentive. Best chimichurri sauce that I can remember! Very deceiving from the outside but do go in and try it!

Catherine M, Owner at ALC Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Whitney, thanks for the love! We're so glad you had a great time in with us and enjoyed your food. It sounds like the steak really hit the spot -- awesome choice with getting it medium. We hope you come back again soon!

Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

I was very satisfied.
The mushroom appetizers were excellent.
The sweet potato chowder was excellent.
The salmon was excellent.
The chocolate bundt cake was excellent.

No improvement suggested and extremely satisfied ( and full too!).

1  Thank MaltaBound
Catherine M, Owner at ALC Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2017

Thanks for the love! We're so glad you had a great time in with us and enjoyed your food. I'm glad you left satisfied! We hope you come back again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

Austin has several "fancyl Steak Houses, from local to well-known chains but ACL is my favorite, by far.
ACL consistently serves the best steaks in Austin in a nice unpretencious restaurant, far from the noise and attitude you might experience at other places. Several of the kitchen staff have been at ACL for over 10 years, that is probably why their food is invariably delicious.
I highly recommend ACL if you want an exceptional meal with friends, family or colleagues.
(Casual fine dining at around 75 dollars per person)

Catherine M, Owner at ALC Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Thanks for the kind words about our place! We're so happy to be your favorite steak place in all of Austin. It sounds like you've always had the perfect steak at the right time. I hope to serve you again soon!

Jordan, Manager

Been to ALC Steaks? Share your experiences!