“Can I give it 1/2 a star?”
Review of Spin Modern Thai Cuisine - CLOSED

Spin Modern Thai Cuisine
Price range: USD 20 - USD 30
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: SPIN Modern Thai is an Austin restaurant that offers a contemporary Thai fare by blending traditional Thai cooking methods with Japanese and Southeast Asian influences, creating a unique and memorable dining experience.
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have eaten at Spin twice before and also had a sampling of the food at the Somms Under Fire Competition 2012. In all three instances, I enjoyed the food which was why I was comfortable with taking a group of very picky “foodie” friends for a night out on Friday 3/1.

So, here is the recap of our Friday night experience: My friend called and made reservations for 6 people for 7:15. When we got to the restaurant it was packed, which can be a good sign, unless you are as unfortunate as we were. We waited about 45 minutes beyond our 7:15 reservation and continued to be told it would only be 10 more minutes, a few more minutes, etc. We are a fairly patient group, but we were hungry, and were starting to have our doubts as we heard the same promise to everyone who was part of the "waiting" diners. Finally, the manager came and told us that they were not going to be able to seat us, as they had more business than they expected that night (this is not something you want to hear on a Friday night after waiting an hour especially because the chances you will be able to get seated anywhere decent without a long wait is minimal). We asked him if he realized that we made a reservation and he said yes, but he still would not be able seat us that evening. Then we asked him why the staff kept telling us that we'd be seated any minute. He had no response for that. We then asked him why a party of 8 came in after us and were seated. He said it was because they had a reservation. He should have done his homework before saying that, because I asked him what time their reservation was and he said 7:30. I was pretty upset and reminded him that our reservation was 15 minutes before that and we had 2 less people which could have been accommodated by the same table they just sat the party of 8 at. His response was that the party of 8 had made their reservations on Tuesday before we did – UNBELIEAVBLE! One of my friends asked why they took our reservation at all, and if he realized that overbooking was unacceptable - still no satisfactory response. The final insult was that the manager offered nothing to keep our business, such as a free appetizer or dessert or any incentive to come back and eat. Seriously, I’ve had terrible dining experiences that have been completely redeemed by a good manager’s initiative to try to make things right. This manager did not attempt anything – disgraceful! It really is a shame because all of the other people I was with have never eaten at Spin, and have now said they will NOT eat there because of this experience. I don't think this has ever happened to any of us and we are all foodies who especially enjoy supporting the local food scene. Every one of us walked out saying we were going to Yelp, and write reviews to warn people of this poor experience.
This only proves that sometimes even if you have good food, poor service can destroy your reputation!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

1st visit was a weeknight. Not too busy. Incredible food, incredible service. I can't remember or server's name, but he was fantastic. Duck confit was juicy and the five spice was spot on. octopus was most delicious.

Second visit, busy weekend night. Food was terrible, server was terrible. Red wine was oxidized. Duck confit was dried out and tasted like it was reheated from a previous preparation. Octopus was both rubbery outside and runny on the inside, yuk. Makerel was charred and tasted tainted. All in all, a disaster for the price. Will try next time on a weeknight, early. I don't think that they are equipped to be busy. I want so much to love this place. We shall see.

Veronica V, Guest Relations Manager at Spin Modern Thai Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

We're sorry you did not enjoy your second visit. We always take the time to prepare our foods with the freshest ingredients and with great attention to detail. While we're not sure how this happened to you, we would like to ask you to come back and give us another try. Please ask for Kuantan or Alphonso when you arrive and they will make sure your experience is a better one.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

This is an unassuming storefront in a big box store strip mall, but so incredibly worth a try! We stuck with starters and sharing plates - perfect for trying a lot of different dishes. Sweet Corn Taro Tempura with a sweet, sticky honey glaze was crunchy goodness. I did prefer it dipped in the spicy sauce which occompanied the Moo Ping (pork skewers). Skewers were carmelized pork which were fabulous. Tiger Cry was a warm, marinated sirloin 'salad' of cherry tomato. Salmon Tataki was smoked salmon with a really refreshing pineapple brunoise. Baby Octopus was smoky, very spicy, tender. The quail, with the spiced squash, was to die for. This place exceeded every expectation - service, atmosphere, presentation. Gourmet all the way and very different. A great find that I'll be happy to share with my friends.

Veronica V, Public Relations Manager at Spin Modern Thai Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you so much for stopping in and for sharing your great experience on TripAdvisor. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed the food and overall experience at our restaurant. Cheers!

Reviewed 9 February 2013

The Dining Divas joined tonight for their first ever Austin adventure in eating at Spin Thai Modern. What a great start! After the warm greeting we were happy to order drinks. The cucumber sake was cool and refreshing and perfect for our 80 degree February day!

I started with the Sweet Corn Taro Tempura, a crispy delight with a lovely sweet chili vinagrette that was so good I resorted to eating the last crumbly bits with a spoon!
My Belly on Fire, pork belly with curry sauce, microgreens, sauteed onions and toasted chili , was true to it's name...my mouth felt the fire, hot but not too hot.( I would note that it was marked with two chillis on the menu and I probably wouldn't go for any dish that had more.) The onions were delectable, I savored one sliver with every bite of the crispy, tender pork belly. The richness of the dish was nicely balanced by the curry sauce and microgreens. Belly on Fire is on the "Full Plates" menu but it is so rich, I wish I could have had a smaller portion on their "Tasting Plate".

Our waitress explained the food would be served as it was ready and all dishes might not come out at the same time and asked if that was okay. We agreed and some of the dishes were served considerably after the rest of our party so that some were basically finished before the last plate was served. The restaurant filled while we ate so that getting the bill settled was a bit slow...but to be fair, we asked and received separate checks for all nine divas! The wait staff clearly knew the dishes and explained them as served. They seemed to take pride in the food, as well that should!

Veronica V, Guest Relations Manager at Spin Modern Thai Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thanks for coming in and we're very happy you enjoyed your experience. We apologize for the wait on your check. We hope you will come see us again.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

We loved Spin and enjoyed sitting at the bar and watching the kitchen while talking with the chef and other patrons. We even exchanged foods with other patrons. We loved EVERYTHING we ate. The presentation is incredible and the mix of flavors amazing. We went for dinner and look forward to returning for lunch soon so we try more traditional Thai street foods. The lunch and dinner menu are quite different.

Give Spin a try - you are really missing out if you don't!

Thank you for coming in. We're happy you enjoyed everything. Come back and see us again.