“Most Surprising Strip Mall Restaurant Ever!”
Review of Spin Modern Thai Cuisine - CLOSED

Spin Modern Thai Cuisine
Price range: USD 20 - USD 30
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: SPIN Modern Thai is an Austin restaurant that offers a contemporary Thai fare by blending traditional Thai cooking methods with Japanese and Southeast Asian influences, creating a unique and memorable dining experience.
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Loved this place. The strip mall exterior hides a quiet, calm ambience within. Our server was friendly and able to answer the numerous questions we asked about the menu. This is not the typical Pad Thai and Noodle Soup kind of place.

The menu items were interesting and a little unusual. For example, there was an excellent salmon appetizer call Larb Sake, which was my favorite dish. The Peppercorn Pork was terrific, as was the Coconut Panna Cotta dessert. This is now my go-to place for Thai. My only regret is that they aren't open for lunch on Sunday.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Far north Austin, but worth the drive. It's in a strip center, and the interior and ambiance pretty much suits the locale. Nothing fancy, but no strikes there - I liked it. Nothing stuff here. They are serious about food.

Sake and wine list is compact but well thought out. Cudos for offering beverages that are on par with the food, and actually go with the food.

In keeping with several reviews already posted, the service was a distant second to the food. All of our food was already on the table and I literally had to stop the server (after asking for our wine twice), and ask her if there was a problem with the wine (suspecting it wasn't cold). She gave me that "deer in the headlights" look and said they were looking for it and/or it wasn't cold. I made it clear that it would be nice to know this before our food was served. I will request a different server next time, the rest of the staff seemed competent.

This being one of the highly rated/reviewed restaurants in Austin (by the local press), I feel the need to weigh in: in keeping with the Austin tradition, our food hit some peaks and some valleys. Inconsistency is the norm in Austin. The pumpkin tempura was outstanding, not sweet at all. The papaya salad was WAY too spicy (and I'm not from New England), it wiped out our palates. Overall the food is zesty and spicy so if you like beer it's a good choice. Tempura soft shell crab was delicious, grilled salmon was perfect, but home made sausage was chewy and crude. Did I mention the grilled salmon was perfect? Very hard to do at that high heat. Terrific dish.

In the end, this spot is very exciting and adventurous. I will definitely return, and I certainly recommend it. Most menu items looked great and I wanted to try them all. Great vibe with the chefs and the hostess was very sweet.

If Spin was on South Congress, it would be an hour and half wait every night.

Oh, and they took a reservation for two on a Saturday night. Yeah!

Reviewed 24 December 2012

Just a different place to eat in a sea of blandness that is the 183 /Anderson Mill area. Thank goodness for this and a few other places to eat that are here now. Love the popcorn Escolar and have not had a bad dish. Soup of the day always good but need to add Tom Yum with a spin. Good beer and wine selection but you can bring your own liquor.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

This place is great. Everybody is super friendly and the food is wonderful. The other night the chef came out to our table to talk to us about how spicy we liked our food. As an added bonus, it's a little hole in the wall in a strip mall, which means that people trying to be "seen" probably won't come here. Yes it's a bit north so don't trust your GPS. Google Maps will get you there just fine.

We've been twice, here are my recommendations:
-Gai Tot Nuggets - Crispy fresh chicken nuggets. Real chicken meat.
-Thai Rosted Chicken - Fresh chicken on the bone, quartered.
-Panang Curry Fettuccini - If you don't like spicy foods, ask for it without the serrano peppers. I like hot things and this was on the edge of too spicy, but the heat came just from the seeds. it was amazing though.
-Brisket and Candied bacon SPECIAL - If you are fortunate to go on a night when they have this special standup and shout "I AM THE HIGHLANDER!" It is amazing. Although the candied bacon is actually caramelized pork belly. Out of control awesome.
-Fried Ice cream - WHAT? Scoop of Ice cream rolled in pound cake and tempura batter then deep fried. Served with candied pecans, marshmallows and golden raisin puree. Get right out of town and into my face. Probably the best fried ice cream I've ever had. The angelfood cake layer really takes this dessert up to the next level.

Added bonus, you can earn points on OpenTable through Spin.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I've now eaten at Spin Thai 5 times and have not once been disappointed by the food. There has not been one dish I wouldn't recommend. I'm working my way through the menu. I love the 'spin' on traditional thai - the same majical flavors you love in thai food - the curry, thai basil, coconut, lemon grass, kaffir -just spun in a modern way combining perfect amount of heat and texture . The presentation is matches the flavor - served up beautifully.

Here are a few of my faves: popcorn escolar, the saba mi krop (moked norwegian mackerel), Salmon Tataki (bursts of citrus freshness), tiger cry...and one of the best desserts I've ever had - the coconut panna cotta. The panna cotta is perfectly made, light, airy and the subtle coconut flavor combined with the ginger consomme, pecans, lemon is an award winning combo.

For drinks - the cucumber sake is the bomb. It's fused in house. Ok, so maybe the cups are a bit small. :-)

Ok, the 'strip mall' location isn't ideal, it's not the most romantic venue, but put a blind eye to that and make it a regular stop. i'd like to keep this restaurant around, the food rivals anything fancy downtown, in my opinion it's worth the drive from wherever you are.