“Terrible quality, scam menu, inconsistent service”
Review of Pakwan - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Pakwan
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I've tried Pakwaan for the past several months and the quality has deteriorated significantly. Here are some problems with this place:
** Be prepared for inconsistent service and at times, rude waitstaff.

** Be also prepared for bad quality dinner at exorbitant prices. If the food tasted good, I would pay for it happily. But their quality has gone down since they opened several months ago.

** They also seem to think Americans don't get authentic tasting food and have started to undercook and oversweeten most things.

** I don't understand why they have to add some much oil to many of their dishes - that feels like going to a really low-quality place and not what Pakwan touts itself to be.

** I also don't get why their full menu is never served and it's been 9 months or so since they opened. AT least do your customers the courtesy of putting the current, short menu online. Don't fool them with the wrong menu online.

In summary, everything about this place is inconsistent. But the saddest part is the food - over-greasy, too undercooked or sweet where it shouldn't be (such as the chana masala) and non-Indian (veggie jalfrazie does not equal steamed veggies) when it comes to many dishes is a complete letdown!!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Pakwan is new and they're trying hard. They show promise and I want them to succeed. Although currently rating not more than and overall "good," there is reason for you to try these freshman.

After four dinners and one Saturday buffet between January and April, they still suffer from inconsistency and occasionally amateurish service. Among the high points on food are an excellently spiced saag with tender lamb chunks, their fabulously non-greasy samosas (if you like a puree interior), a perfectly-made naan with crispy edges and air pockets, and the delightfully refreshing dahi wada lentil cakes with yogurt sauce (on the Saturday buffet). However, the low points were steeply upsetting, such as an inedible biriyani with painfully dry chicken, watered down tamarind sauce and badly made naan (yes, they're inconsistent).

The environment is new and quite comfortable, as it needs to be to command up to $16 an entree. You can see the lady chef scurrying about in earnest trying to make everything right, but not succeeding all the time. When she does, it is blissful, as with the lamb saag, so I will continue to give them room to grow in what they still call their "soft opening" period. Give 'em a try.

By the way, the restaurant is steps away from the amply stocked Man Pasand Indian grocery store.

Saturday buffet for $10.99 on 4/7/12: dahi-wada, salad, pakoras, saag paneer, vegetable jalfrazie, yellow dahl, black-eyed peas, ghost biriyani, beef keema,

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I visited Pakwan for their lunch buffet. Everything was fresh, hot, good variety. The service was impeccable. The rice pudding dessert was the best I've had in a while. We will be back.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Let me preface this review by admitting I'm British so I have been eating the English versions of Indian dishes pretty much all my life, but as the English have now adopted Indian fare as our national dish it seems, I'm extremely picky and more often than not disappointed with restaurants that come recommended. I'm truly happy to say that this was not the case with Pakwan.

I'll start with the service which was excellent, our waitress freely admitted to not having tried everything on the menu and was herself new to Indian food but was a real fan of certain things on the menu, she answered our questions honestly. A couple of drinks were brought quickly to our table and followed by a couple of meat samosas which were really excellent - a good sign of things to come.

Since my fiance is also new to curry we decided to go with the Murg Tikka Masala and Chana Masala ($14/$9) with the obligatory Naan. These were both absolutely delicious. I normally am much more daring with my selections, but these 2 basic dishes were easily the best I've had in Austin, and could stand up for themselves in some of the best Curry houses I've visited in Europe. Tremendous.

If you're in South Austin and you have the urge for a really excellent curry - I am delighted to suggest Pakwan. They have a buffet on the weekends that I fully intend to explore very soon. I was recommended this restaurant by a friend and more often than not, such recommendations fall short of my expectations, but this exceeded them on every level. Service, quality and ambiance - 10/10. Well done.