“A So-So Meal in a Lovely Home”

Maggiano's Little Italy
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 3,992 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mo-Pac Expressway & West Braker Lane
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My recent trip to Maggiano's reminded me why I don't enjoy eating at Italian restaurants...as well as why I keep going back.
Creating the perfect ambiance for an intimate dinner is both science and art, and Maggiano's was a great place to hold a private conversation in the middle of friendly crowd. We felt like we were "out", but our booth was truly "our" space and the lighting, temperature and furnishings were all comfortable. Major Kudos to Maggianos for that.
I'm generally not impressed with the flavor of Italian cuisine unless it's cooked at someone's home. Maggiano's was no exception. I was excited to introduce calamari to my daughter-in-law. Bad idea. Bland, forgetful.
I liked the way the mozzarella was served in two big slabs, rather than smaller portions. I love the whole communal dining concept, but again, the sauce and cheese were just..."eehhh." I split the chicken and spinach manicotti with a girlfriend and both of our tastebuds slept right through the party.
We were celebrating my daughter-in-law's 20th birthday. She said that her virgin peach bellini was the best drink she'd ever had...and surpassed the enjoyment of her meal too, some rigatoni thingamajiggy.
So, maybe next time, Maggiano's will be the spot for cocktails, laughter and sharing...and we'll leave the cooking to someone else.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Late night dessert at Maggianos was fantastic. No waiting and we were able to seat outside in their patio. It was three of us and each of ordered something different. Service was great.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Great food great service lots of food have tried lots of dishes everything was delish! Choc cake and lemon cookies heavenly!

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Wonderful food and a great staff that take care of the customer. The food is priced just right for the huge of amount of food you receive.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Maggiano's hosted a New Year's Eve Party for $150 per couple, with great appetizers, wonderful wine tasting, live band (good band, not too loud), ample dance floor area, and a huge breakfast buffet at midnight. It was a great way to ring in the New Year. The event wasn't crowded, but I hope it was sufficiently well-attended for Maggiano's to repeat next year, as it would be our first choice of places to celebrate New Year's Eve. The decorations were great, too.