“Great activity for a casual weekend”

The Blanton Museum of Art
Ranked #33 of 281 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: This university art museum has a spectacular collection of 20th century American masters and the United State's largest collection of Latin American art.
Reviewed 8 January 2018

My friend and I enjoyed a trip to the museum today. My friend has been to the Blanton Museum plenty of times and lucky enough for her the visit is free as she is a UT student. I was lucky enough to get a few dollar shaved off my admission for being an ACC student.

Overall the museum is nicely laid out with an upstairs and a downstairs. The current display downstairs was a real miss for my friend and I and it was a little too crowded.

We climbed up the stairs to the second floor to look at all the work up there. There were some really nice pieces and displays to take in and or pause and reflect.

I have been told they host numerous free events which definitely peaked my frugal interest. I will be sure to check out more in the future.

BlantonMuseum, other at The Blanton Museum of Art, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Thank you for your review, we appreciate this!

If you're looking for more free events, we recommend the official opening of "Austin" by Ellsworth Kelly, which will be on February 18, 2018. It will be followed by a Curator talk and public tour. On March 24 we will also host the "Blanton Block Party," which will provide music, activities, and food-for-purchase from 11am to 11pm!

Hope you can come back soon!

All reviews
"visiting austin"
"installation"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 6 January 2018

An accessible, well annotated museum with a range of art to enjoy and learn about. The atrium area, which is also an art installation, is beautiful. The docent at the main podium near the entrance was quite helpful. My only concern was they could use more seating in the galleries. We enjoyed our time here and had a leisurely late lunch in the nearby cafe (across from the gift shop). Much to our delight, we heard about an upcoming concert that same week and returned to hear one of the best Christmas concerts of a local choir, featured signers, and musicians we've ever heard. Good find!

Hi Loretta

We are delighted you were able to join us on these occasions! Thank you for your feedback concerning seating, we will relay this to our Visitors Service team.

Another highlight to look forward to is the official opening of "Austin" by Ellsworth Kelly, which will be on February 18, 2018. This event is free and will be followed by a Curator talk and public tour.

We hope you can join us again!

Reviewed 3 January 2018

There are so many pieces here to look at and many different styles and eras represented. No liquids allowed but you can place such items in a locker near the entrance.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

I love art galleries and museums. I have been to the Louvre, Vatican Museums, Uffizi Gallery, London's National Gallery and many more. When I stepped into the Blanton Museum in Austin I felt like I was in a smaller version of one of these world famous galleries. The art was displayed wonderfully and the staff was courteous and professional. The European art section (my favorite) included some real heavy hitters including Rubens, Parmigianino, Veronese, Tiepolo, Tintoretto and many others. I will certainly visit this wonderful collection again.

This is an exceptional review, thank you so much! We have some new exhibitions coming soon too, including the official opening of "Austin" by Ellsworth Kelly, which will be hosted on February 18, 2018 at 12:30pm.

This will be a free event, followed by a Curator talk and public tour of the exhibition. We hope you are able to attend!

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 December 2017

The Blanton Museum of Art is located by the campus of the University of Texas, at Austin. The best bet for parking is the Brazos Garage (for which there is a fee) at 1210 E MLK Blvd. The art museum has received good reviews, and for a university museum, it is quite impressive. However, for a museum in general, I found it quite disappointing and not offering any artworks that were truly exceptional or interesting.

Thank you for your review! We are sorry to hear the museum did not meet your expectations. If you have any further feedback to share, please feel free to contact us on info@blantonmuseum.org

Our exhibitions and artworks regularly rotate so we also recommend checking our website listings for more information.