Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Charming Old House

10th oldest house in Austin, Texas. $5.00 entrance fee, $4.00 for seniors and students. Very nice... read more

Reviewed 12 November 2018
510conniel
New Jersey
via mobile
a good stop

Reviewed 10 January 2018
Me9247
Austin, Texas

Recommended experiences in and around Austin
from USD 37.90
from USD 25.00
from USD 53.04
from USD 49.00
More Info
All reviews great docent governor's mansion self guided tour architect homes cochrane restored visitors tours exhibits history
Reviewed 4 April 2018

A historic home and museum may sound like a strange place to bring the kids, but my son and I love coming here. Once a month (the first Sunday), they host a free, historically-informed activity for kids that is well-beyond your typical free activity in quality and content. From making pinhole cameras to pop-up books, we always have a good time. And once we're there, we have a great excuse to check out the exhibits at the museum, which span interesting time periods and topics. Bonus points for having a food trailer on site and making our Sundays even easier!

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank Tara L
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Want to get a taste of antebellum Austin? Visit the Neill Cochran house, get lunch at the food truck and hang out on the lawn, see their changing exhibits, and get a taste of where Austin came from.

Now a history museum, the Neill Cochran house was the first house built that far north of town, by the same architect who built other Austin classics like the governor's mansion and the French Legation.

And while the house itself is great - the programming is amazing. Whether it's the lecture series or the Family Fun days - there is something interesting happening regularly.

Plus - if you want an interesting event venue - this is a great one!

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The docent was fabulous and the mansion is pretty interesting as well. Very much recommend an hour-long visit to the house.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 31 March 2018

I love taking my family to the Neill-Cochran House Museum for activities and exhibits. The house is a great place to dig into Austin history and architecture, and it's beautiful! They have rotating exhibits that are well curated. For families, they have special events like their "Sunday Funday" series and other events like Easter egg dyeing. If you can catch a tour, the people who work here are very knowledgeable and have some great stories. It is also a fantastic photo location, we took our family Christmas card photos here one year. They have space for events, and a nice-sized parking lot. Occasionally there are food trucks here, or you can walk over to Freedmen's BBQ if you're hungry.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 10 January 2018

In 2018, the first Sunday of the month until May they are open for free. The first Sunday they had a scavenger hunt going on and some other activities for children. My 82 year old father and I came to see the inside of the house. It was a self tour, each room had some signs to read about the use of the rooms and the fixtures. They allow you to go upstairs as well. Overall took us about 45 minutes to see everything. Free parking in their lot behind the house. I am happy it has been restored. I wish more had been. This house has had some interesting times. I believe now you can rent it for weddings. I believe it is $6 to visit other times. I am not sure how wheel chairs can visit as there are about six steps to get into the front step and now way for wheel chairs to get upstairs. Glad I made it out to this house. Maybe I will come back for an actual tour someday.

Date of experience: January 2018