All reviews continental club south congress great location jo's coffee amy's ice cream single room chain hotels basic amenities place to stay walking distance small room nice pool coffee maker close to downtown soco retro bunkhouse
Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

My parents were coming into town and looking at chain hotels, I recommended they stay on South Congress so they would be walking distance from so much to see and do while I was working during the days. I booked the room and was able to get a locals discount so it was just shy of $200 per night. Met them at the hotel after check in and we all had a good laugh that I suggested “falace palace” having no idea that was the motels nickname! They also had nice pink penis hooks to hang their robes from. We were able to laugh about it all, it’s what makes it different and funky. The only thing they were really disappointed with was no coffee pot and no fridge in the room. I took father down to buy an ice cooler and some drinks to keep in the room. Initially I was kind of embarrassed that I had suggested this place for them in their 60’s and preferring some very basic amenities. I guess Liz Lambert wants you to spend $4 on coffee at Joe’s instead. Nonetheless, by the time they left they said they wouldn’t stay anywhere but here on their next visit! They adapted to no amenities and ended up LOVING it! They spent the majority of time in the amazing pool, one of the best I’ve seen in Austin, 7.6 feet deep! My mom daily told me how much she liked the front desk guy, Chris. She’s been in the hotel industry for over 35+ years and clearly he left an impression on her. So overall, great place if you’re open minded and able to make the best of things. Location and pool can’t be beat!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
JoshJustice, Front Office Manager at Austin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

I love this story about your parents' stay with us! I'm so glad you took a chance on the historic "Phallus Palace" and that your parents rolled with our cheeky, funky decor.

While not as convenient as an in-room coffee pot, we do offer coffee service every morning in the lobby from 7am to noon, and it's the same delicious roast from Jo's. We also have mini fridges that can be added to your room upon request.

I'm also happy to hear your parents enjoyed the pool and our front desk staff. Kris has been with us almost a year and has been a great addition to the team. I'll be sure to pass along your mom's kind words.

Thanks again, and we can't wait to have you and your parents visit again!

Josh

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

This motel looks nothing like their website or their social media accounts. This is one of the most disgusting places I’ve ever stayed out. The room is falling apart, half the the outlets don’t work, there’s no lock behind the door and since they use real keys it’s a major security concern—especially for women. One copied key & anyone can get in. I’ll link photos in the comments. But there’s rust, bugs, dust, toilet paper holder is off, and the shower only gets hots or burning your skin off. There are ZERO outlets in the bathroom—so good luck with that. There’s a blow dryer in the bedroom but no mirrors. When I called they didn’t seemed to care and told me to fill out the card in the room. It would have been nice to know that before paying $200/night. This business obviously lacks integrity passing this place off as something it’s not and leaving our details about basic things the room is missing. Go up one block and stay at the Embassy Suites, and you’ll be much better off.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
5  Thank Hasti K
Reviewed 15 May 2018

Myself and my girlfriend have stayed at the Austin Motel twice, both during visits to Austin for weddings. I've been to Austin many times and had always heard about Austin motel. After seeing that the place had recently been redone, I was very curious to check out the overhaul. The first visit was great-- we loved the place. The second visit was not good at all, and I'm not sure I'll stay here again.

First visit, at the end of February: we stayed in one of the deluxe king rooms. It's a great room and very spacious. It opens out onto a courtyard that has seating and space to hang out outside. It feels very Austin. The room itself has just about any amenity you would need: an area to hang up clothes, a good central air conditioner, seating within the room, a nice television, USB plugs for smart devices, a bluetooth speaker/alarm, and a big enough bathroom. The only odd part of this room is that it has no shower curtain in the shower so the floor gets soaked after every shower and the shower doesn't really retain it's warmth as well. The hotel also has a nice "bodega" where you can buy beers, wines, snacks, and most importantly coconut water in the morning to help you recover from your hangover. The only other real gripe about this visit, which isn't really the hotel's fault, was that when we sat outside and had beers and talked around midnight, the lady in the suite next door was a B because she could hear us talking in her room. We were talking in a reasonable volume and weren't being loud at all. Anyway, not really a complaint, mainly just bad luck having a snooty woman in the room next to us. Service was great on this stay as well. This visit overall was great, and we were excited to stay at the Austin Motel again on our next visit in April.

Second visit, toward the end of April: we booked a queen room to save a little bit of money on this visit. The deluxe king room was great, but we felt like we could make ends meet with a slightly smaller room with a smaller bed. Let me emphasize that the disparity between the deluxe king and the queen is quite large. The queen room is tiny, has a window AC unit that does a poor job of cooling the room, has nowhere to hang up your clothes (or your suit that you brought for a wedding), you cant use the sink with the bathroom door open, and there is no ventilation in the bathroom so when you drop bombs in the toilet, your girlfriend should be warned not to use the bathroom for a little bit. However, the main thing that really upset me about the stay wasn't the inconveniences so much as the fact that housekeeping didn't bother to visit our room during our stay. We stayed two nights, and slept with the DND sign on the door. We left our room at about 1 PM on the second day and made sure to remove the DND sign so our room would get freshened up and we could get new towels, a made bed, and trash taken out. Housekeeping was next door so they definitely were not gone for the day. When we got back around 5 PM, we saw that housekeeping just didn't show up, despite them still working when we left (I saw two of them working). I walked up to the front desk and asked them if any housekeepers were still on, and could someone drop by the room real quick-- I was told that everyone was gone "but I'll be sure someone comes by tomorrow." Well, I'd hope housekeeping would be by the next day because we'll be checked out by then and I'm sure the next guests would enjoy the cleaned room we didn't get. So I just asked for a couple extra towels and left. Fast forward to 12:15 PM the next day-- yes, we were 15 minutes late checking out. My bad. However, at 12:10 the front desk calls us telling us we need to check out. I tell them OK, we are in the process of packing up and we'll be out ASAP. 5 minutes later, housekeeping who didn't bother to clean the day before, knocks on the door and tells us that we need to check out. We check out by 12:25 and while I'm checking out, I hear housekeeping call the front desk asking if we've checked out yet. It's funny to see housekeeping so up our rear to get out so they can clean our room when they didn't do jack the day before. I understand they need to turn rooms over for the next guests, but it's not hospitable to be down someone's throat three times within 30 minutes. I really don't mean to sound so entitled to have someone clean my room, but having a cleaning service is THE main feature between staying at a hotel or staying at an Airbnb. If I didn't want someone to clean my room, I'd just stay at an Airbnb and not drop $500 for a two night hotel stay. As it is, I paid that much and essentially got an Airbnb stay out of it.

After two stays, I can conclude that this is a cute hotel that has some awesome features, but charges a premium that it can't fully delivery in means of service. It charges about $100 a night more than it's worth and has some service issues to deal with as well. They should probably standardize their amenities across their rooms better, and not have a few rooms with central air conditioning and the rest with dinky window units. I know it's an older hotel, and that's really cool, but you can retrofit buildings for central air.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are great-- don't even bother with the rest
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew G
JoshJustice, Front Office Manager at Austin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for both of your stays, and I'm sorry to hear your most recent trip did not meet expectations. We are currently working to standardize amenities across all our room types, and we will definitely speak with our housekeeping team regarding your feedback.

Josh Justice

Reviewed 2 May 2018

The owner has taken a vintage motel and added hipster touches plus a hefty price tag. It's funky - vinyl bed, catchy wallpaper, suggestive robe hooks, but it lacks most of the basic comforts we'd expect in an upscale establishment. They've kept window air conditioners - they are built into the wall and run around the clock - VERY noisy. No coffee maker, no iron or ironing board, no real closet . . .
My bathroom appeared to be almost entirely original except for a new tile floor, so it was very small and not particularly fresh looking.
The bed is comfortable, the pool is pretty and the staff is friendly, and it's certainly well located if S. Congress is your scene. But as far as value for price, I call snookered.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank lanyardlover
JoshJustice, Front Office Manager at Austin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Hi-
Thank you for your feedback on our value for rate, we will keep this in mind as we move forward with renovations. We do offer brewed coffee every morning in our lobby and irons and ironing boards are available at the Front Desk. Glad you enjoyed the Casper mattresses and our friendly staff, we love them too! We hope you come back and see us as we continue to update the rooms.
Josh

Reviewed 24 April 2018

Moved to Austin in 1979 and this place was there. Never even gave it a look. Last week, we were down on South Congress for a hot rod show and got a room here as a "home base". This old motel has been updated and retains its schlocky, kitchy flavor. Walls are thin, amenities are far from 5 star but this location is a perfect base for exploring this part of Austin. Very cool pool area, usually quite busy. Low price is around $225/night.

Stayed: April 2018