“Suite is updated but still some issues and crappy location”

Residence Inn Austin South
Ranked #87 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Monica, California
“Suite is updated but still some issues and crappy location”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We have had a good experience at a different Residence Inn but I can't say that we recommend this one. It is a nice layout when you have kids because you can put them to bed in the bedroom and then stay up together and sleep on the sofa bed in the living area. It's also nice to have the kitchen on hand for favorite foods quickly. But, overall this hotel was not the greatest.

Pros:
-It has been updated from previous reviews (see photos) so it is a pleasant looking space.
-The separate bedroom and the kitchen with fridge, stovetop, microwave, and dishwasher-dishes, cups, pans, utensils provided
-Decent breakfast offered.
-Very nice staff.
-Air/heat worked well
-They set up a pack n play type bed before we got there
-A small selection of snacks, drinks, microwavable food if you are in a pinch
-They will go grocery shopping for you if you provide a list

Cons:
-A pretty crappy area of Austin-not unsafe, just blah-right near highway and far from nice spots
-Many small issues with the room that add up-drawers that don't close, wobbly and loud toilet, creaky cabinets, bedroom door with no handle, etc. They obviously took some shortcuts on the remodel leaving old furniture and cabinets.
-Breakfast ends at 9am which was early for us because we were on Pacific Time
-Our "view" was of all the air conditioner units right outside our window
-Bathroom is in bedroom so my husband and I didn't want to go in there and use it at night and wake up our little guy (especially with the incredibly loud toilet)
-There was some minor highway noise, it didn't bother us much but it's definitly there.

Overall, we felt okay about this hotel but it wasn't great. They seem to be moving in the right direction with the remodel but they have some more work to do to make this a nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanna B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2012

More than a hotel room. A self contained unit with the high Marriott standard of bedding. Great self breakfast and short walk from Marriott Bar and Restaurant.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
RISouth, Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
David,

First off, thank you for your review, we value feedback from our guests. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay here in Austin! We hope to see you again next time you are in the Austin area!

DENVER, CO
Reviewed 20 October 2011

As a Marriott Gold member I would have expected better. If you're a traveler going through Austin - beware. This hotel has issues and was not upfront upon check-in about the hot water issue. The front desk clerk knew a boiler was down and we wouldn't have HOT water in the morning for a shower. It was luke warm at best.

Room had mold, cracked tile and stained carpet. Who knew what else was there that you couldn't see. I couldn't wait to leave.

My company I and would suggest staying somewhere else until this hotel addresses the issues.

Room Tip: There aren't any. Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank DRICE99
DRICE99,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about the hotel. I want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We have been working hard to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us. We have recently been completely renovated with beautiful new rooms and public areas (see the new pictures), as well as a new boiler to ensure that our guests have plenty of hot water!

I hope you will give us another try next time you are in the Austin area!

Orange County, CA
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stay at Marriott Properties all over the country. I've stayed at every type of property as well and never had as bad an experience as I did at this property. The property is old and in serious need of a remodel. As I entered the room, it had a pungent smell. I was only there one night so I decided to just open the windows, turn on the air and get going....I was pressed for time and didn't have the opportunity to deal with room changes. I immediately left for a meeting and returned that evening. After further review, I noticed the carpeting was filthy and had several stains. The kitchen counter was also filthy as was the stove. When I attempted to shower....there was NO HOT WATER. I called the front desk to find out they were aware of the issue, were awaiting parts and did not offer any solution. They also failed to tell me this upon check-in which while wouldn't have solved the problem, I would have had an option to do something about it. While in the cold shower, I noticed mold on the ceilings and on the wallpaper in the bathroom. In general, I would say the property was filthy, the PC in the lobby was slower than my cell phone for pulling my airline web page, the dinner/evening snack is only served 3 days per week....this night had "deli sandwiches.". One of the worst experiences in a Residence Inn I've ever had. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank ExitRowAisle
ExitRowAisle,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for the experience you had at the Residence Inn, but please know that we have been working very hard to improve the quality of our rooms and our guest's overall stay.

As of February, we have been completely renovated (please see the pictures), and we have also replaced the boiler to ensure that our guests have plenty of hot water.

We would love the opportunity to host your stay next time you are in the Austin area.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

Ask for a room away from the highway side. It is so loud all night. Also the auto temp regulator turns on the fan periodically, and it is so loud also, then it stops. Then it starts. Stops. Starts. But the folks w ho work here are awesome. If I could stay downtown, I would do that!

• Stayed September 2011