“BBQ Odyssey #59”

Stillwater Barbeque
Ranked #40 of 301 Restaurants in Abilene
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Location: in front of a strip mall, with leafy trees providing a lot of shade, and picnic tables inviting you to eat outdoors. A pleasant setting. The food is on the spicy side, but if you are doing the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ circuit, this is a good spot to step away from the brisket and try some other meats. The turkey was excellent, and the jalapeno cheese sausage above average. The real star of the show, however, was the homemade jalapeno mac 'n cheese. This was outstanding, and a larger portion could easily serve as a lunch or dinner in its own right.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Tiny but huge on flavor, everything is worth at least trying. My favorites are the sausage and brisket, if they are doing brisket mac and cheese, try it. It was a little rich for me but very good even so.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and I are participating in the Texas Monthly Yeti Top 50 BBQ Joints challenge and Stillwater BBQ has the best brisket we’ve had so far (out of 10). It was tender, juicy and full of flavor. We shared a large rib which was equally as tasty. I had the homemade banana pudding for dessert and it was amazing. Service was very friendly and we were even given a free serving of the Brisket Mac & Cheese to try. And we washed it all down with free Shiner Bock.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Let me say, I’ve been here a couple of times- although I’ve never gone without problem. The first time they were out of everything that wasn’t pork(I don’t eat pork) and they just said “sorry, sucks to suck.” I was mortified but went back again with my girlfriend when it was voted in the top 50 in Texas. I asked what he suggested and a guy named Matt(who I assume to be the owner) said pork ribs. I said I was Jewish and don’t eat pork and asked again and he said “a double order.” I honestly didn’t want to eat there but my girlfriend had already received her food so we ate. I ended up getting turkey and beef ribs and they were okay- nothing special, but after these and other events showing the true colors of management I would not recommend eating here. See picture below for another reason.

Date of visit: July 2017
6  Thank TrevDawg95
Reviewed 23 December 2017

I am so confused about how this place gets voted best BBQ in Abilene. We've given it a chance multiple times but keep coming away disappointed. Our last experience is our last. It was delivered via Arrowhead Delivery, which is likely why my ribs were basically charcoal. Had I been in the restaurant, I doubt they would have given me burnt to a crisp ribs. Their meat also has a horrible fuel taste. My wife couldn't eat her meat due to the excessive fuel taste. Real BBQ should NOT taste like fuel! The only positive and the best thing they make is their BBQ beans. I will give it to them, they are among the best I've had anywhere, but that's where it stops. Don't waste your time, money, or defile your tastebuds by eating here.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank RodL66

Been to Stillwater Barbeque? Share your experiences!