“It isn't what it once was”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Reviewed 21 February 2016

The only place I wanted to eat at if we were just going through town was China Star. I went there a few years ago & was surprised that the food wasn't as good as I remembered. I went back this past week & was seriously disappointed. I literally had to go to the bathroom to spit something out it was so bad. I asked for a certain dish & they made it fresh for me & that dish was great!! Everything else I ate on the buffet was terrible. I'm not sure what happened because this place was named best in ABilene like 4-5 years in a row. But it needs to be updated, cleaned & the food needs to be updated to something that isn't just cheap to make. It needs to be delicious as well. I think the owners are the same, I just wish they would rethink their buffet & give us what they used to give!!

1  Thank Weazy123

Reviewed 28 January 2016

Lunch hour is here. I'd like something healthy, good, and even though not as fast as fast food- fast enough for me to make my 1:30 pm appointment and have 15 minutes to look over my presentation. Dinner is here and the movie we want to see is in an hour and 10 minutes away. We'll be well fed and there before it starts.

1  Thank 868donf
Reviewed 21 January 2016 via mobile

For over20 years , This is one of my favorite places to dine in Abilene. I'm not much on buffets but this one is by far the best. Never disappoints!!

1  Thank Justin C
Reviewed 19 January 2016

This used to be the #1 Chinese Buffett, Asian Cuisine as well as overall Buffett in Abilene, TX. My how things have changed. Their price for lunch is now almost $9.00. Dinner? Pushing $15. Over the past year or so - since they have real competition and have lost customers - instead of trying to up their game they have regressed badly. They have resorted to watering down the sauces used on the steam tables to stretch them out to save costs, adding more low cost items such as vegetables on their buffett and putting less beef, chicken , fish and shrimp out. And when those items run out - they are slow to be refilled. Their fried egg rolls are greasy and actually, everything they fry is greasy due to a switch to low cost oil. The sushi is cardboard and the ice cream is grainy which means the machine is rarely cleaned. Their duck sauce option is packets. We used to go there a couple times a month - after this last visit - I won't be going back unless for some ungodly reason I am in that area and am starving. The rug hasn't been replaced in almost 20 years. The seating is from the 1980s. The whole establishment is dark. Maybe they should have reinvested all of that money they made off of their customers for "over 18 years" into the restaurant. Now , they will survive, but unless they remodel the whole building and stop cheaping-out the food, they will face a slow decline into obscurity. And will never regain any of the #1 spots they used to hold in this market. I guess you reap what you sow.

2  Thank J D
Reviewed 5 September 2015 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise to find this Oasis of a Chinese Buffet in Abilene. The food was very fresh. There was a large variety of chicken, pork, beef, seafood and noodle dishes. One of the best Chinese buffets that I had the joy of eating at. The Hot and Sour Soup was superb and one of the best I've ever eaten. The restaurant was busy as it was the dinner hour; however the service was more than adequate. Will certainly plan a meal for here next time I'm in Abilene.

1  Thank Becky D