“nice place”

Comfort Suites Altoona
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed here so we could check-out the amusement parks. Liked the hotel very much. Staff was very nice. Altoona does need to get some nice places to eat tho. We tried to find the Applebees. Staff told us wrong where it was. We drove around for a long time and finally ate in Chil's which we did not like at all. Hotel breakfast was very nice and always stocked,. Place was quiet for sleeping too.

Room Tip: rooms away from parking lot.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Kurt S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

I am very glad that you enjoyed our hotel. I do apologize that our staff gave you incorrect information for directions. We will make sure that all of our people understand the importance of giving correct information at all times.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is a VERY clean establishment. They have everything you need and it's right off Highway 99. Horseshoe Curve and many other restaurants are about a 20-minute drive. Breakfasts and Wi-Fi are free. Although it's called a suite, I am not sure if I completely agree. It does have a quarter wall separating the beds from the couch and chair setting along with a nice size office desk. The bathroom is a very nice size. The only complaint I have are the walls are thin. We could hear our neighbors which I am not a fan of.

Room Tip: A/C runs from the thermostat on the wall not the unit itself.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank dk6499

Thank you for mentioning how clean our hotel was doing your visit. We feel that there is nothing more important to our guests than a clean hotel and friendly service. Please ask our front desk staff for directions to area restaurants upon your next visit. We have over 20 restaurants that are minutes from the property.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stay here when visiting my mother who lives across the street in the "home" as we affectionately call it. This is an interstate hotel.....only there because a highway runs by it but for me it is a great value. The rooms are big, nicely appointed, clean and include breakfast (not great but toast and cereal is ok). The rooms are a bit noisey so we use the fan as white noise to buffer it. I would not stay on the first floor near the lobby... too noisey but other than that no complaints. We used to stay at the Marriott Courtyard which is the only other hotel in Altoona I would stay at, but this is better (except if you want restaurants, shopping then stay at Marriott).

Room Tip: Noisey so stay away from lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our property. I am so pleased that you found our location to be convenient for your visit. Many of our guests tell us how much they like that we are at both a quiet location and also easily accessible to I-99. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Back in Altoona and reminded why the "Comfort inn" isn't my first choice, woke up by housekeeping @ 9am could of sworn that "Do not Disturb" was up, funny I can't find it in the room housekeeper that woke me up must have it... oh well I'm just not happy here next time its my favorite in Altoona or its my car cause atleast no one will wake me up early there...

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Michael K
Kurt S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

I appologize that your sleep was interupted by the housekeeper. I can assure you that we would never intentionally disturb a guest. I hope that you will try our hotel again.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

We chose this location over a couple others in the area based on the excellent reviews we read on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, we were somewhat disappointed. Like another reviewer around the same time, the main problem was the front desk. We arrived at 5 pm and were told that there were no clean rooms available, but that they would have one within 10 min. They claimed this was because they were sold out the previous night. No big problem. We waited and were given a key to a room, only to find that the maids were still working on it!
We took a look at the pool, but decided against trying it, as it just didn't look that inviting.
The room was clean and fairly large. I would have traded in the marble in the bathroom for more water pressure.
The breakfast was good and the lady working the breakfast bar was very pleasant. The forks were awful flimsy for cutting a nice waffle.
On our return to the room the 2nd day of our stay we discovered that the key card no longer worked. A trip to the front desk remedied this, but it should never have happened.
Also I asked if they had any pillows which were firmer, but they didn't.
It was a good hotel with a nice lobby and room appearance, but because of front desk problems, not worthy of 4 or 5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that your room was not ready for you upon your arrival. I am also sorry that your room key quit working for you. Sometimes the cards loose their magnetic code if they are too close to a cellphone. I hope you will try our hotel again.