“TERRIBLE! STAY AWAY!”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Athens
Ashland, Ohio
“TERRIBLE! STAY AWAY!”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The property is out of the way, the rooms have a terrible odor, the service is dismal, and you will not get what you order! Booked a room over a month prior to stay only to be told upon check in that they no longer had rooms available and they tried to give me double bed instead of a king--with no refund or apology. First, it took about 20 minutes for the front desk clerk to even acknowledge that we were waiting to check in. Then, we find out that we do not have the room we ordered. When I asked for a refund they refused. Would not let me talk to management. Said that we were "out of luck" there was "nothing we can do" and that I would have no bed for the night. The desk clerk continuously called her manager and would walk to the back room to speak to him, but when we asked to talk to him her response was that he was "on vacation" and "unable to take any calls"

I decided to check out the room they could provide only to discover it was dirty, smelly, and substandard. I had to leave the hotel because my group would not fit in the alternate room. I would not have wanted to stay in this room even if it had the correct size bed, because of the filth and terrible customer service provided.

Management would not respond to any inquiries. After placing several calls to the Days Inn Athens and corporate, we still have heard no apologies and have been offered zero options to make the situation right. The only solution that the front desk clerk had was to reserve another room for an additional $180 and forfeit the money I had already been charged for the room they could not provide me. How is that a solution? Why would I pay them for services I dd not receive? And why could they not provide me with the king bed room that I reserved? Why would I have to pay twice?

Use extreme caution if booking this place. It is the worst hotel I have ever experienced in my life!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Heather29938

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Poland, Maine
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Property is in the boonies, opposite an automotive business . . . not a good sign. There was a distinct smell of sewerage, and a "stream" nearby.

Room was not clean . . . hairs in the bathroom, dust lining the edges of the carpeting, mirror streaky. There were a mis-matched micro and fridge, a modest-sized wall-mounted flat-screen t.v., and a table and ONE chair. The tissues box was virtually empty. The drinking glasses (2) were not wrapped. The bathroom fan/light sounded like a plane taking off . . . all the time. Towels were VERY worn -- need to be replaced.

Thankfully, the bedding was clean; and the spread and carpeting appeared to be fairly new. And the WiFi connection was strong and speedy.

The exercise room (a former hotel room) was a rather appealing surprise; but the equipment (treadmill and elliptical) were substandard (like $200 new).

While the premises were picked up and mowed, the outside stairs' treads were in need of sweeping and a coat of paint. In addition, the outside waste containers were filthy and full-to-overflowing when we arrived at 6 p.m. and still had not been emptied when we left at 10 a.m. the next day.

The hotel's photos of the breakfast area are misleading. The two tables shown are the ONLY tables and the L-shaped area for displaying the breakfast fare was crowded. In addition, this cramped area is a mere five feet away from the front desk. We skipped our "free" breakfast -- which doesn't start until 9 a.m. -- and went elsewhere.

Premises is a very dated, two-story hotel with no elevator and outside stairs -- definitely not "ideal accommodations" as their website states.

One last thing -- the room charge automatically includes a charge for use of an in-room safe. It is the guest's responsibility to request that this charge be removed from the bill upon checkout.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelers-R-US-246
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Room was fine Untill water began pouring through the ceiling fan as the upstairs residence were showering thus rendering the bathroom unusable.The attendant when notified about the issue proceeded to tell me he was going to take care of me then rang me up full price anyhow. I called and complained to corporate and got 25% discount. But they mailed it to the wrong address.

These people need a lesson on customer service.

• Stayed February 2012
Clark, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 November 2011

i stayed there last weekend for haloween & price was resonable , staff was friendly & helpful.
breakfast was good & room was clean & location is easy to reach. staff help me map out areas attraction.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ballys135
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We chose this hotel because it was near the Athens Downtown and university. It is a old hotel but nice clean room. front desk staff is very nice helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple