“A few annoyances - not terrible - just a simple place to crash.”

Red Roof Inn Akron South
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Akron
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“A few annoyances - not terrible - just a simple place to crash.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed at this Red Roof Inn on a Friday night in October 2011 as a place to crash on a trip toward Wheeling, Ohio. I had chosen this particular motel mainly because of the price and because the reviews were all right for what the price was.

I didn't arrive at the Red Roof until after midnight. I was not terribly impressed with the gentleman who was working the front desk. He was okay but didn't go out of his way to be helpful. I could tell he was tired and would rather have been sleeping or something. He had a very mediocre (not really friendly or welcoming) demeanor and didn't even bother telling or showing guests how to get to their assigned room once he gave the card key. (He did this to me and I noticed to a few others after me. One lady after me had to ask him where her room was.)

When I got upstairs to my room, the key did not work. So I had to head back down to the lobby and had to wait a good 5-10 minutes for him to finish working with other guests before he could reconfigure my key. That was annoying. Another thing that was annoying was that the room I stayed in did not have a little notepad and pen as most hotel/motel rooms have. I needed a pen to write some things down and had to go back down to the lobby a third time to ask the gentleman for a pen and paper.

The good news is that the room was quiet and clean, and the TV remote control worked. I got a decent night's sleep, but there was no breakfast at all other than coffee. It was definitely a no-frills place, but hey... I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
manager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Akron South, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am sorry we fell short of providing a better experience; please accept my sincerest apologies.

I read your comment "...you get what you pay for". I want you to know that we are working diligently on being more than that. Although we are an economy hotel, we still should be able to provide exceptional service, and I am disappointed that did not happen. We are taking appropriate action to resolve this and prevent it form happening in the future.

Thank you again for your time, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Vandalia, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

We made our reservation online. When we arrived they attempted to charge us more. We needed a handicap room and they only offer these with one bed. The room next door was loud so we had to move to a new room. The shower was very slippery and there was no mat. Treacherous for someone who can only use one leg. There is no pool or breakfast. I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

It is our goal to make sure every guest feels confident and safe with our accommodations. I'm sorry to hear we were unable to provide that for you. We are looking into your concerns.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

My stay at Red Roof Inn was great. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and very updated. When we got in our room, 326, it seemed almost as if it was damp in there but i assumed it was because of the humidity we had been having all week. We had some neighbors who were loud but it didn't bother me. After i had gotten into bed and started to fall asleep i woke up to a sound of two loud knocks on the door at around 330 in the morning. I didn't get up because i thought it was the neighbors but when i looked towards the door i saw a figure of a man. He was standing there first looking at me and then he slowly moved and turned towards the door and after about 10 or 15 seconds he disappeared. I knew i had seen a ghost but i wasn't frightened and i didn't feel any sort of harm from the ghost. I can describe exactly what he was wearing only he wasn't in color, it was almost as if he was see - through and thats the onoly way i can describe because i could see the outlines and the full bodied figure of the man but he was almost invisible. He was about 5'7", wearing work slacks and a tucked in button down plaid shirt. His hair was short and he looked old and his hair looked gray. I'll never forget the man i saw in room 326 at Red Roof Inn!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We always appreciate our guest's comments regarding their recent stay.

Englewood, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

The room was clean, however we had to go to the front desk to get clean towels the two days we were there and empty our own trash. The first day, our room was not cleaned because of the dog in our room. What dog? We were not traveling with a dog. The second day, my husband actually asked a young lady for more towels and if she can empty the trash. She replied, "No problem." We even left a tip in the room. There must have been a problem because when we returned later that evening, our room was not cleaned again. The air conditioner was so loud that we had to turn up volume of the TV. When we return to Akon next year, we will not be staying there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LucyT2281
manager207, Manager at Red Roof Inn Akron South, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Akron Red Roof. I am sorry that we were not able to make your experience an enjoyable one. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

We strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I want you to know that I have reviewed your informaton with my staff and we are taking the appropriate measures to prevent any future occurrence.

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

I was in town visiting family in the area. This Red Roof Inn is conveniently located off of I-77. The room was spacious with a nice desk area. The free Wi-Fi worked very well. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was very clean. The room did have a bit of a musty smell but everything else was good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to right a view about us! I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Akron Red Roof.

Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
0.2 km away
14.6 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls
21.1 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn

Been to Red Roof Inn Akron South? Share your experiences!