All reviews ceiling fan off season air conditioner ab soap unit
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

The Sand Dollar is a small older motel, located near the beach. This was my first time staying there. I chose it for the location, and the off season price. The rooms are small, but all I needed. Everything was clean, the TV was up to date with a great channel selection. The showers were nice, colorful, and worked well The water temperature can fluctuate while your in there, so watch out.
I stayed in a regular room the first night, and a room with a kitchen and 2 bedrooms the second night. I had no problems with either one.
The management was friendly, and nice.
This is a no frills motel, but I would definitely stay there again
You do have to walk a couple of easy blocks to the beach. You can walk to Fort Macon, or drive and park there for a day at the beach.
I wasn't expecting luxury, but was very pleased with the basic accommodations.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trek104443
Reviewed 25 December 2016

We stopped into this hotel on a road trip without a reservation - not high beach season so there was a room available. The owners were very friendly and welcoming. The room was very clean and had all the basic amenities - microwave, fridge, soap, towels etc. Nothing fancy but everything we needed. The location was quiet and convenient, and a good area for a morning jog.

Room Tip: The rooms farthest away from the main road are quietest, but there was no noise to speak of.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank milady_12
Reviewed 21 August 2016

The Sand Dollar is very clean and sufficient if you're not into lots of ammenities and want low rates. Public beach access about 3 city blocks up, with gazeebo, swing set, shower. Larget shell piles very close!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Caromyn
Reviewed 11 August 2016

We had reserved for one week starting August 3rd, 2016. We made the reservations in October of 2015. I called to confirm in late March of this year. Everything was "go." Imagine our surprise (among other things) when we arrived after traveling almost 500 miles to be told that OUR RESERVATION DIDN'T EXIST! We had a car full of luggage and beach stuff, and no place to go.
The Sand Dollar has changed ownership and our reservation was lost in the shuffle. They did not have any room to accommodate us for a full week. We could stay 3 nights, but after that we would have to move out. The front desk clerk was very nice about it, even helping us locate another hotel. During high season, we were lucky to get ANYTHING.
So be warned. If you're going to the Sand Dollar, call them or take your chances "sleeping with the fishes."

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank GogoGSO
Lorie L, Manager at The Sand Dollar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2016

On behalf of the Management team at the Sand Dollar Motel, we apologize for the mistake that was made. I discussed with you in person, on the how and why that mistake was made. I assure you that this misunderstanding will NOT happen again. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to give you the best experience on your next vacation.
Lorie L
Manager

Reviewed 10 August 2016

By accident, my husband reserved a 2 room suite at this Sand Dollar Motel when he thought he was reserving a room at the one on Ocracoke where we had stayed 2x before and enjoyed very much. He talked to the desk people on 2 occasions before we left home and found that there had been a change of management just as we had heard there was at the Ocracoke Sand Dollar. So, we had no inkling we had reserved the wrong Sand Dollar until we arrived at the Ocracoke one and they didn't have us down. My husband immediately called the Atlantic Beach motel and told them what had happened but they will not return my husband's deposit of over 100.00. This would be understandable, I suppose, during off season, but there were still a lot of tourists around and I am sure they could have rented the rooms we didn't use. We had to spend over 2 hours trying to locate a place to stay we could afford after loosing our deposit. We ended up finding 2 rooms beside each other for 2 nights on Ocracoke, but the 3rd night, our daughter and her fiance had to share our room with us because nothing else was available. I just think it was being quite heartless to not refund our deposit under these circumstances during a bust time of year when they could have very well rented the rooms we didn't use.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the right Sand Dollar as there is more than one hotel by that name
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank angelaohedgepeth

Thank you for your response. I spoke to your husband personally the night of the reservation. We were unable to sell the room, that you had reserved for the weekend, due to it being a last minute cancellation. We are not like a "chain' or "franchise" motel, and our reservations are primarily made weeks in advance. Our policy, which has been enforced for many years, even with the old owners, has been no refunds, and last minute cancellations are not refunded and charged for the entire stay. However, i made an exception to the policy, to help you out the best way i could, and only charged you for one night, this could of been a full charge. I am sorry if you felt that my decision was "heartless", i felt i was helping. I do apologize that i can not refund the deposit. You have to understand that I have to follow the policies, and rules that are set. These policies and rules are applied to everyone, with some exceptions, as in your case.
Lorie L