See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

People are super friendly. Rooms are comfortable. Clean. Quiet area. Pool is nice. Great place for the price. We stayed in an efficiency. Equipped with everything you need. Beds are comfy. Within walking distance of everything you need.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank SparklingLisa
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

I stayed here after visiting their sister motel. It was clean and well maintained for an older motel. The pool was clean and refreshing after a long day. Staff was knowledgeable and freindly. For the price and location and cleanliness it would be a easy choice to stay here again in the future. Can't wait to get back.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2016

Not a lot of extras but the staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. I liked the kitchenette, it provided everything we needed for the weekend. Over all we enjoyed our stay and will stay there next time.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2016

We've been staying at Hollowell's for years, but this will be our last. The folks who work there are super nice, as always, but the place has gone downhill. The shower in our room only dribbled water and we had to pour cups of water on each other to take a shower. We informed the office but nothing was done. The bathroom was so small that you could barely turn around. The grounds were all overgrown with weeds. The support posts for the second floor walkway are rusted out, and it looks like they could collapse at any moment. Of course, the location is great, but the diner almost on premises now closes at 4pm, which was disappointing but not the fault of Hollowell's.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank SueLovesDuke
Reviewed 1 July 2016

Stayed for two nights in mid-June 2016, stayed an extra night after finding the hotel and area a neat place to hang (we aborted a night at Kings Dominion for this).

Let’s be honest, this is not the greatest motel I’ve ever stayed in. The furniture in the room was a little stained and one chair, apparently missing some stuffing, was hard to sit in. The parking lot is rather small and one with a large vehicle must be careful. The pots and pans in the free kitchenette were cheap, and somewhat unusable due to burns, etc. To the owner (Mike Lawrence?), I’d make the following suggestion: I was happy to wash the dishes before leaving, per your statement that not doing so would result in a $25 charge. But think about this: I washed them well, a courtesy to you and the folks coming in after me. But I also washed them when I arrived, because my thought was “what if the guy before me wasn’t very good at it?” Think about it. Might be worth jacking your prices five bucks and night, putting a dishwasher in your laundry room, and just cleaning the dishes yourself to assure safety. The thought of the previous customers, who may have been tired and not excited about the task, washing my dishes for me? Kind of creeped me out.

Ok, that’s the bad stuff, lets talk about the good. I say it's not the greatest hotel I’ve ever stayed in, because I’ve paid $300 to stay in a resort many times. But I think a review should be based on cost, expectations, and compared to the surrounding area. with that in mind, this IS one of the best motels I’ve ever stayed in that cost under $100 a night. And consider where you are (see “location”).

The room: as clean as your going to get near the shore. There’s sand, there’s water everywhere, and it’s hot and humid. Still, the girls cleaning seemed to work their butts off to make it a pleasant experience. The room was HUGE, important to us, as we had two kids. The bathroom was small, but clean and well-kept. The kitchen (note the dishes issues, I’d bring a pan or two next time) was a real nice touch. With a Food Lion one mile down the road, we saved a fortune and ate healthier because we had a kitchen, refrigerator, toaster (nice!) and microwave. Note to future clients, there’s no coffee maker; bring your own, or head down to McDonalds, a short walk on a warm morning. The beds were comfortable.

Staff: Beautiful people that made me feel welcome. Mr. Lawrence seemed to always be there, and always running around with a rag and a spray bottle of cleaner (which almost says “yeah, I give a damn”). Met me driving in, made me feel welcome, gave me the lay of the land and suggestions on eating, etc. When I wanted the room for an extra night, he dropped what he was doing, ran in the office and made it happen. Other employees I ran into were always smiling, always accommodating. The girls cleaning were at it early and were ON IT, minding your privacy but making sure you had what you needed. Just a good, good feel.

The Pool and Grounds: A nice pool, decent sized. There are tables and chairs inside the pool for resting, having a bite, whatever. We also found a nice picnic table around the corner from our room, where we took most of our meals. In the office, the owners keep a litany of pamphlets and info on the surrounding area.

Finally, LOCATION!. So you’ve checked into this decent, clean motel, for which you’ve paid about a hundred bucks a night, and the owners and staff have treated you like family. Then you say “which way to the beach?” Answer: About two minutes away. The main Atlantic Beach is a short walk, past an expensive parking area you don’t need. So close is the beach that one night we drove up with chairs and a cooler. We all walked to the car when we were done and my wife and daughters started walking while I packed up (took me less than a minute) and drove back. They were waiting for me when I got there. Note that when the main beach is crowded, ask the owners about the other public accessway, located about two blocks up the road. Two of our three days, the main beach was crowded. Although the other areas have no lifeguards (and we didn’t want them anyway), there was almost no one there. We swam with dolphins two days. Beautiful white sand.

This was just a nice experience. I want to congratulate Mr. Lawrence on making this old gem work well. Acceptably clean, well-managed. Made me feel like I was at home, enough so that I didn’t want to leave. It’s a long way from our PA home, so I don’t know when we’ll be back, but we’d stay here again, and we’re recommending it to friends that are tired of paying $250 a night in the Outer Banks.

Date of stay: June 2016