“All aboard the Express to Asia!”
Review of Tokyo Express

Tokyo Express
Ranked #25 of 75 Restaurants in Arden
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This ‘express’ stops at three places, not just Japan but China and Thailand as well. The developers of this chain apparently picked a menu of Americans' favorite Asian dishes from the three nations. Considering the list of entrees, the place seems slightly more Chinese than Japanese, but the Sushi selection was still pretty extensive. I was disappointed not to find my favorite Japanese soup (Miso soup) on the menu. I was kind of hoping for a warm cup when we stopped in for lunch. But my wife and I both enjoyed our hibachi chicken with rice and delicious sweet carrots – the carrots were an unexpected treat. There were two disappointments. What was called ‘fried rice’ was more like soft brown rice. I prefer the Chinese version of well-tossed fried rice, so I’d have to give the fried rice a grade of C. Otherwise the food was good, served warm, and ample remained for a meal of left overs. Bummer number two was that the food was served in styrofoam take-along style clamshells rather than on a real plate even when you eat in. Using plasticware was a disappointment - I hoped it would be one step up from a food court at the mall. Prices were not much different than in many regular Asian restaurants, but the food came out pretty quickly after ordering at the counter. Not a bad Asian food fix if you’re out and about, and all things considered, the Tokyo express works for me.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 2 October 2018

The food took a while, but it was very busy with the lunch crowd and there were several large groups. Excellent food delivered nice and hot.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch after and appointment in Asheville. The staff was friendly and give fast service. I ordered hibachi shrimp and crab rangoon. Both was full of flavor. The restaurant including the restroom was clean. The restroom could use some updating but it was clean. The outside eating area is very nice.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 31 August 2018

The last time I had food here, I immediately regretted eating at the restaurant. I believe MSG had been added to the food, major GI upset less than an hour after eating.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

This was our 1st visit and we really enjoyed the food. The portions are good and the food is really delicious. I like that it's not overpriced, especially being on a family budget. The gentleman at the counter was smiling and courteous, and answered all of our questions. Any place BTW that doesn't nickel and dime for kids drinks and includes them in the kids meals is a BIG plus for us, and the drinks are included here so we like that. I had a California roll and General Tso chicken. The portions were large, and I like the orange cream sauce that came with the food.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was the men's bathroom. I used it and there were flies inside, plus the toilet would not flush. It wasn't clogged, it just had some kind of plumbing issue. Unfortunately a semi-gross bathroom visit right before eating isn't that pleasant. Hopefully they fix it and that would make eating in nicer.

Overall the food was great and we'll be back.

Date of visit: August 2018