New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #4 of 110 Hotels in Manila
manila
“expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Just for reminiscing the past, we had coffee and tea on the lobby cafe. I find it overpriced though they gave complimentary cookies for the drinks we ordered. A cup of brewed coffee is about 150 or 180pesos. I ordered mango juice and the lady asked if a want the bottled or real fruit. I got the bottled for around 150pesos and it tasted like the concentrated mango juice i always buy in the supermarket. Not satisfied with the food but at least the ambiance is great with matching pianist at the background. I also tried the croissants sold at the bakeshop (also at the lobby) ...price okay, tastes ordinary.

NB: my son says meals served in their Champagne Room is the best and don't forget to try their buffets - the produce are fresh and they use original Angus beef for their steaks and bbq.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rossManila

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Moline, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I visited the lovely Manila hotel in August and September of 2011. This was my first trip to the Philippines, so I really had no idea what to expect, other than what I had read online.

I have no hotels in Manila to compare this to, but what I can say is that this hotel was pure class. The lobby itself is grand and impressive. I loved the Philippine flags, the high ceilings and beautiful artwork. What really made an impression on me was the the music! There was often a pianist in the lobby playing beautiful music. I will never forget the evening where there was an orchestra, and we were serenaded by the most talented violinist. It was amazing.

The rooms were great. All of the amenities of home, and FREE Internet access, which was great.

We had massages two separate days because they were so wonderful. Best massage I have ever had - hands down!

There were many options at the breakfast buffet and we had fun trying all of the different foods.

Great stay at the Manila Hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank HappyTraveler8282
World
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

The hotel is an icon of the city, not only because of its name but its history. I stayed here with my brothers (we had a gift check) overnight and we were thrilled with our experience. The hotel's facade may be dull and dated, but the interiors and staff service make up tenfold for this.
The lobby is grand and very classical Filipino. We were welcomed with a pianist playing and throughout the day, the musicians changed. By dinner time there was a quintet playing.
I believe they are in the process of renovating and we were placed on the 14th floor which had new rooms. Ours had a view of the shipping port and of Manila bay which was nice. The rooms were a decent size but the beds were tiny, and the four pillows were a bit of an overkill.
We ordered room service for late lunch and it was delicious. The shrimp in my pesto pasta was absolutely perfect. The prices aren't bad for a 5-star hotel.
We also checked out the pool, which was a bit small. However, there is a lot of space for sunbathing and lounging by the pool.
The service was excellent and the staff were quick to respond to our requests for extra bottled water and to replace the bathroom TV remote (yes, there is a TV in the bathroom, over the tub).
I would love to stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room with a view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank annaxox
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

The first thing that I really was upset about was the Beds. Did not matter what room you only got 1 King OR 2 Twin. We were there with our 8 year old. She had to sleep with her Mom an Dad $188.00 an night. (2) The shower leak and the carpet got vary wet. So we got a new room after I ask them what they were doing 3 times. But then we got the room with the two twin beds. A small twin for my wife and 8 year old. NOT good not nice. Now one thing that was VARY nice was there massage best I have Ever had. Cost a bit more then other places in Manila but it was worth it. The room was a 9 out of 10. The staff 9 out of 10. I have never felt so good after a massage then I did there. The staff should be paid more. So please tip them. Pool ok gym ok food ok. Room NOT good. Best of luck

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1579
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Before, Manila Hotel is not one of our top options for a hotel in the metro. It feels a little too old when I see it from afar. However, when I finally got past the lobby, I was pleasantly amazed.

The lobby and the exterior may seem ordinary but the rooms are really great. It has that classic old Manila feel, but everything is in top shape. I guess it was really a good idea to renovate these rooms. Service was also excellent, they were very successful in exuding the Filipino hospitality.

Aside from the rooms, another remarkable thing is the pool which is very spacious, relaxing and clean. The buffet at Cafe Ilang Ilang is also good, Filipino food at its finest. Make sure you try their Ube Ensaymada, a local pastry.

And in case you haven't heard, the Manila Bay sunset is breathtaking. So make sure you request for a room with a good vantage point of the sunset. We did, and it was an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is facing Manila Bay. It is a view to behold.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple