See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

The Mookai Suites offer quiet and clean rooms which are perfect for a stopover after a late night arrival.
The staff were helpful . The wifi and hot water did not appear working during our stay but we didn't raise it and I'm sure it could of easily been sorted .

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2016 via mobile

I was booked in here for two nights after fracturing my knee. Enormous suite which was actually far too large for someone on crutches. Very clean and comfortable, the room was cleaned daily. I needed to make an emergency call to the U.K and was amazed to be told that they could not organise an international call! Communication was poor, after struggling downstairs to the restaurant I waited 20 minutes before anyone noticed I was there and was then told that I could have room service! Restaurant Manager was extremely helpful though and the food was very good. Not a good choice of hotel for me but would be ideal for a family as food can be brought in and cooked in the suite.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 December 2015

Arriving late at night, it was not fun to have to go to 3 differing rooms before we could find one with air-con that worked! Highly frustrating and a real disappointment. It was cooler outside than in.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Make sure you are not confused with the Mookai that is close to where the boats come in from the airport. For the Mookai Suites you need to take a taxi (which is not expensive and are a fixed price).

Although this was slightly away from the main jetty, the location was still good, and nice & close to the Jazz Cafe if you want something to eat/drink.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank SalsaChickNik
Reviewed 14 October 2015

I am currently staying in Mookai Suites and love it here. I was almost put off coming here by negative reviews, but I booked 3 nights intending to move somewhere else. I am so glad I gave it a chance, and I'm still here five weeks on - home from home by now.
The first two nights I was on the 2nd floor, but asked to be higher and was given a nice room on the 7th floor overlooking the harbour.
This is not a five star operation, and does not pretend to be. It is a nice, friendly, middle of the road hotel and this is reflected in the rate. Remember that Male is a working city, not a resort, and it is not geared up for the resort tourists with high expectations.
The rooms are spacious, bright, and spotlessly clean. My room is cleaned every day, and linen changed. I do a lot of work in my room, and it is ideal for that - I moved a table (desk height) to the window to make a very comfortable work space. The design of the rooms is a little strange - two rooms share a living / kitchen area - but nobody really uses them as kitchens. I sometimes use mine to watch Ireland's progress in the Rugby World Cup on the large screen TV. For ordinary viewing my room TV is fine, and has BBC, CNN, sports and four movie channels.
There is a problem with wifi speed and sometimes connection, but management has just changed suppliers and installed new equipment so I expect it to improve. Meanwhile the manager kindly went out and bought me a remote plug-in with 5 GB and I use this if I'm downloading. Signal throughout the island is slow, so don't expect too much.
Breakfast is lovely juice, fresh fruit and eggs of your choice, plus sausage etc if you want - and lovely nutty brown bread, tea, coffe etc. Nothing fancy, but good. There are other options with plenty of cafes within a 10 minute walk. Check out the nearby Jazz Cafe.
Male is a small, crowded city and getting around can be tight. Reception will call you a taxi, and it usually arrives within five minutes. And taxis all charge a fixed rate 25 Rufiyaa (less than $2 - and don't expect a tip) no matter where in the city you go to.
Last, but certainly not least, the staff are wonderful - always smiling, ready to help and tolerant of my (very few) bad moods. The manager and his deputy make sure to say hello regularly, and are most courteous and helpful. Reception staff are young and attentive, and the restaurant staff are great and go out of their way to serve you well - again, without expecting a tip.
Hotels in Male are relatively expensive, but you must remember that everything has to shipped or flown in to this island city.
At least for me, this is the number 1 hotel in Male for location, price and comfort - I will certainly stay here again if I return to Male.

Room tip: Ask for the higher floors with harbour views
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2015

I had a one night stay here during a business trip. The rooms are more like living in a flat as you have a dining area, kitchen and 2 double bedrooms with a bathrooms in each of them.

My brief stay was pleasant enough, friendly staff, clean room, good Air conditioning, WiFi, nice bed. The restaurant looked decent but I didn't eat there. It was very quiet inside the hotel however you get quite a bit of street noise with its location (gets quiet around 11pm).

I spent most of my free time in the HunHule Island Hotel (on the airport island) for its pool and bar area. You can get to this from Mookai Suites via the airport ferry, its easy enough to find, just follow the sea front up the jetty's and its marked for the airport, about a 15 min walk.

I would recommend for people travelling on business.

Date of stay: August 2015