“Great room, overpriced bar, lovely Thai restaurant”

Pacific Regency Hotel Suites
Ranked #72 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
London, United Kingdom
“Great room, overpriced bar, lovely Thai restaurant”
Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

I booked a couple of suites at the hotel for the group I was travelling with, a taste of luxury after travelling around south east Asia. The suites were enormous, bigger than a flat!, the bed was huge and very comfortable. The views from the suite were absolutely stunning across kuala lumpur..
The hotel is perfectly located to sight see, with the tourist bus stopping just down the road.
We found the bar to be extortionately priced, maybe because we had been touring on a budget, but £7 for a beer is taking the p....
The roof top pool and loungers were awesome, the lifeguard was a lovely man and would look after you while you were chilling..
We booked into the Thai at the restuarant and enjoyed the 5* cuisine. I had a duck curry which was delicious.
We tried to pop up to the roof top bar at night but was refused by the door staff due to my footwear. At no point was we informed by the hotel we needed to wear shoes to visit the bar as residents. Very poor..
In summary, I don't think we would return to this hotel. It has it good points but that is at a cost. I am happy to pay the price if the service matches...unfortunately this hotel fails..

Stayed September 2011
1 Thank macpiarais

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed 3 nighs at the Regency in KL before our trip to Langkawi. For the money this hotel is decent value, but not without some complaints. First off, the service both at the front desk and outside at the taxi stand was not what I would consider traveler friendly. I'm American and when I don't understand what the male reception says the first time around, I don't really like it being blurted 5x louder (w/ sarcastic tone) back in my face. That and the taxi stand guy persistently kept telling me to take the taxi to a bus station that I knew was farther. I assume his was to extract a higer fare from his buddy, the executive taxi driver in waiting (which also extracts an additional 3 ringgit from you for being 'executive' while the normal taxis wait down the hill). So all staff shadiness aside, my other gripes were that our air con spewed lukewarm air our first night. They fixed it the second night. The hotel is also located juuuust outside the range of convenience for walking to the main areas, but it is tolerable given the price ($70/night). Rooms are big with kitchenette. Wi-fi was SUPER fast the first two nights, then kept disconnecting the 3rd night. Overall decent stay, but I enjoyed my time at Hotel Maya more for a little more per night.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Damian L
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Loved the pool, could live there if i was allowed to..Views to die for ! Good music and very adult..Didnt have kids running around..
The rooms were very large and had cooking facilities, nice if you want to do your own thing..
Good location and well priced, its hard to go past this hotel.

Room Tip: Agoda has the best rates for asian hotels
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KiwiR0b
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

Our room looked out at the Mayaysian twin towers, great location for shops and down town KL fantastic roof top pool with equally spectacular views of the twin tower and what looked like a post office tower on the other side. We stayed hear for a city break so my wife could buy shoes
The hotel was very smart and clean. The room Evan had a kitchenette in it which I understand is not un usual for hotels in that cater for family's in Malaysia.

The pool is turned into a lounge bar in the evening we booked a table for 10.30pm looking forward to chill out loung around the pool on the 33rd floor BUT HO NO boom boom boom boom boom the beat did not change one hour fourth five minutes the DJ an oriental girl spent more time being photographed in the DJs box overlooking the pool than changing the music. We beat a retrea ( forgive the pun ) back to our room on the 23rd floor for heavens sake even more your own do not book a room above the 23rd floor or the bass which we could still faintly hear in our room will keep you awake until 2.30pm. I would add we did sleep ok on our floor but we cannot speak for those above & beyond.

All in all a nice place for a short stay. But if you want to chill in style go the the traders inn.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank TimeTraveler1st
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed in Pacific Regency Hotel for a week!The staff was very helpfull, the location is 5-10 min away from Petronas Towers! The only inconvenient was that I've booked for a smoking room and I received a non-smoking one, however the staff were very helpful in offering us a quick solution!I highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family