“Wonderful stay in The Imperial Suite!”

Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Ranked #28 of 353 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 8 November 2012

To be perfectly honest, I could never in a thousand years afford to stay in a suite like this... however due to a glitch on spg.com I was able to make a reservation for the Imperial Suite for MYR 1000 per night, for six nights.

This suite usually costs MYR 11,746.67 per night so as you can imagine, it felt like winning the lottery!

The hotel did contact me the day after making my reservation to discuss the matter however they did concede there was an error on spg.com (the rate of MYR 1000 should have just been for one of their standard suites) but they did take ownership of the mistake and in the end they did honour the rate of MYR 1000 for the Imperial Suite.

Though we enjoyed our stay immensely, I did feel a sense of guilt throughout and do hope that no one got into too much trouble for the reservations mistake (and I told management this).

Anyway, before we get onto the review I also made a YouTube video to show off the suite. Have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DM5HTwDhCI

The Imperial Suite is MASSIVE. Absolutely and ridiculously MASSIVE! Upon entry to the suite there is a marble foyer (a foyer!) with a small washroom off to the right. Then, the foyer leads onto the main Living Room which is bigger than my apartment! Off of the Living Room there is a Media Room (essentially a second Living Room) with a nice comfy setup with surround sound and a Blue Ray player.

Did I mention that the suite has SEVEN flat screen televisions!?! SEVEN!!!

There is a Dining Room with seating for twelve. Off of this is a kitchen with all the appliances you'd need to make a feast as well as an entrance for caterers. Of course we didn't do this (I'm not a Prime Minister afterall) however we did order some Club Sandwiches late one night and felt like real yuppies sitting at this huge table eating our fast food!

Over on the other side of the suite there is an Office with a great chair and large desk area. The free internet connection was incredibly fast and never dropped out.

Off of this, there is the Master Bedroom which in any other hotel could be considered a Junior Suite unto itself! The bed was amazing; a Sheraton Sleeper with tons of cushions and a massive LCD TV screen right at the foot of the bed. The sitting area of the Master Bedroom has wonderful views of the Petronas Towers.

Leading off of the Master Bedroom there is a walk-in wardrobe and then the Master Bathroom which was also huge beyond imagination! You could draw and bath (big enough for two) and enjoy the view of KL while watching a movie and drinking champagne (I know I did!)

In the bathroom there used to be a sauna however they had since renovated this area into a small gym with free weights and an exercise bike.

The only critique I had of the suite was that the Second Bedroom was quite boring and its decor didn't match that of the rest of the suite (I guess that it is rarely used so they haven't bothered to do it up, but still; it didn't look like any other room in the hotel either.)

The Second Bedroom also had it's own complete bathroom which was just like any other bathroom in the hotel.

So yep, that's the suite reviewed!

My only other comment is that the Hotel and its Executive Club's service is still great, but it doesn't feel as upscale and luxurious as it did when the hotel was part of Starwood's Luxury Collection. I don't know; not as many flowers in vases around and the choice of hors d'oeuvers in the club weren't as exciting and varied as they were a few years ago.

This hotel should rebrand back UP to Luxury Collection and leave the Sheraton brand behind itself - it deserves better than this!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank engel24
Sheraton_Imperial_KL, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comments about the overall stay experience in the Imperial Suite with detailed information. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Imperial if your travels include Kuala Lumpur again. Best Regards, Chuck Abbott

Write a ReviewReviews (3,469)

Reviewed 7 November 2012

This hotel is good. Rooms are big and the hotel staff are really helpful and try their best to take care of you.

I stayed only for 1 night and was satisfied with the room, service and general ambiance.

Just had 3 things which irritated me and felt the hotel should do something about it :-

1) Lifts... god they take for ever if you are on the higher floors, during the peak hours. Once i had to wait like 10 mins to get a lift down during the morning hours... this is not acceptable

2) They do not allo hotel slippers in the breakfast area.... it was shocking and to me .. i could see some ppl walking in something which were sandals and like, but they seem to ignore that... but when it came to the slippers they didnt allow me in.. infact they have a board saying this... i don't really think their breakfast restaurant is so classy to warrant such a restriction.. besides if you allowing sandals and other slippers, why disallow hotel slippers... very disappointed.. had to go up and change to shoes and come back... <<add the lift wait time to that>>

3) And finally i agree that their breakfast spread is one of the better ones... but then the only thing i wanted was a teh tarik.. and they said its to be charged separately and not included in the buffet...what can you say...

apart from it, i would recommend the hotel

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comments about the friendly service and room spaciousness. Also, thanks for highlighting several issues during your stay: lift was stalled in stages to improve the ambience of each lift interior, thus this delayed the lift service. While the slipper incident could have been avoided if our team explained to you why we dont allow in-room slippers at our restaurants. The restaurant has wet and dry area so we are afraid our guests will slip and fall when their in contact with wet areas (the in-room slippers are meant for dry area). The "teh tarik" feedback was given back to the team and we apologise for not making the breakfast experience seamless.

Reviewed 6 November 2012

the hotel elicits plenty of Wow moment.
the lobby is deceptively small but it opens up to such a grand space.
the rooms are huge.
it is old school but in a very good way.
i was in room 2123. the room i was in was very clean, everything worked well and - except for the noise outside my door all night - it was a good night sleep.
there was not much of a view though.
the breakfast was fantastic. one of the best spreads in KL. and i love the juice bar.
the gym and the pool looked nice, although i didn't get to use it.
The service is excellent - everyone I encountered were friendly and helpful.
the wifi is free at the lobby - strong signals, which is welcomed. but you got to pay for it in the room. i find that surprising because most hotels give it free these days.
my biggest gripe is the location. it is a little off the main action. KLCC is two stops away on the underground, while Bukit Bintang is three stops on the LRT.
those are not great distances but if you want to pop into a mall, it gets troublesome.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Sheraton_Imperial_KL, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comments about the friendly service, cleanliness, signature breakfast at Essence, gym & pool and room spaciousness.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

This hotel is slightly dated in decor and not plush 5 star, but in all other respects it is excellent. Good food and excellent breakfast, very good service, big rooms and bathrooms, quiet (apart from construction site next door at the moment) and well situated for both the metro and monorail. KLCC (Petronas Towers), Chinatown and Bukit Bintang (shopping) are all a couple of stops away and you can walk to Little India. Saigon 2 down the side of the hotel does nice Vietnamese food if you don't want to eat in the hotel but don't want to venture far. If you are used to swimming as part of your routine note that there is only an outdoor pool, which is more like a little lake so not really set up for serious swimming. However there is a good gym.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Iris13

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comments about the room, signature breakfast, service level, location of the hotel within the train stations and gym.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my wife and baby daughter from 2 - 5 Nov 2012... Together with me was my sister's family in another similar room. The hotel receptionist gave us a "better-than-Deluxe" rooms even though our booking were for the normal Deluxe rooms... Yeah, so I was "delighted at first sight". Receptionists are very "on-the-ball" and approachable...

The hotel is quite poshed and well-furnished... although the car park as quite unfurnished and looked really old with very narrow entrances (won't be a concern to those who do not drive!). The main lobby was nice and my family and I were greeted by very courteous staff (really courteous, and no wonder they won some Malaysian Tourism awards!). The location is also not too bad... walking distance to some shopping centres. Hotel also provide shuttle services to some places (nice I thought, but can't comment on standard cos I didn't take them).

Went to the two rooms and yes, the rooms were nice. Big and spacious. The room food service was prompt as well. Food was pretty decent and I thought value-for-money...

What stunned me were the following incidents:

1) I came back to my room to find that a bottle of cleaning liquid was left in my room. Oh dear, really a "first" for me! There were also some sharp plastics on the floor... I think the attendant did not vacuum the floor well...

2) My sister asked for additional blankets and were told by the customer service staff that they didn't have any! How could this be in such a big hotel? But the hotel did provide the blankets later... Saved the day.

I had my breakfast with my wife and daughter at Essence on the day of my checkout... we didn't have breakfast included in our package so we wanted ala-carte... When we were at the entrance, a male staff in tie saw us and didn't come to serve us or usher us in! This was especially when he was not even busy at all. I gestured to him after a while and he gestured back to say that he was getting someone else to serve! When a waiter finally came in, he wanted to bring us to a higher level (meaning there were steps involved) even though we had a pram. When I asked if I could sit at the same level, he didn't give me an affirmative answer and went to the counter. I waited behind him for a while only to realise that he was leaving it to me to get my own seats. When I told him that the least he could do was to tell me, he gave me a rude look and I was like, okay. Mood spoilt before breakfast.

But I could see that the staff there are generally trained to serve. An example was during the breakfast thereafter, when one of the Chinese male service staff took the initiative to provide two complimentary strawberry yoghurt to me and my wife after realising that (1) they took too long to serve my eggs benedict and (2) they took too long to tell my wife that the low fat yoghurt was unavailable (which was interesting cos all the yoghurt in the menu were unavailable...logistics problem perhaps?). Well, I could see that this hotel had train their staff to serve... just that there may be one or two black sheeps or untrained staff... cannot be helped I guess.

It was generally a good experience for me and my family. I will certainly like to return to this hotel one of these days.... but I do hope that some of these staff could be better trained and be more service-oriented, like their co-workers!

Room Tip: Higher rooms (non-smoking) will allow you a good KL city view...