“Room had no window and was very small!”

The Explorers Guesthouse
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I really don't understand, why this hostel is so good rated on tripadvisor. We book a double room because of all the good reviews. But we didn't liked our room at all. It was so small. it was a room with no window. Only 1 double bed inside. It really scared me a bit. The rest was okay...
I would recommend Backhome hostel instead of this one!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Angela198

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This place was exactly what I was looking for- as a single female backpacker, I wanted a clean, safe, friendly environment in a good location with a fair price. Look no more! In terms of cleanliness, it couldn't have been better- the rooms and bathroom were spotless. In terms of safety, I had my own room with a lock and I also liked that you needed to be buzzed in at the front door to come in off the street. For location, it's right by the Central Market, easy walk to Chinatown or parts of Little India, and conveniently close to public transportation. It's also close to the bus station if you're going to Malacca for a day trip (which btw, you can do solo for about a tenth of the price of the tour companies) The other great thing was the staff- they were soooo friendly and helpful! When I first arrived, they sat down with a map of Malaysia and helped me plan my entire three weeks there. They also let me keep my stuff there for 3 days when I went up to the Cameron Highlands for a mini trip. The one negative I could see people bringing up is the style of the room- all concrete walls and no windows. Sure, this wouldn't be ideal if you're staying in your room all day, but if you're just using the place to sleep and store your stuff, it's totally fine. For the price, I think it's a great bargain!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed at this location for 3 nights and it was great. Here are some of the points I liked:

-free jam and toast in the morning and tea 24 hours a day
-rooms are very clean!!
-My level has it's own TV and couch area on top of the ones in the lobby area.
-many WC and shower facilities so you don't have to wait
-free wifi, although it would be nice to get wifi signal in other levels (not just the lobby)
-great living room area, huge tv, very comfortable lobby area and free internet for guest at the lobby.
-staff is great, very helpful.
-VERY CLEAN!

PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD JOB!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed there 3 nights and I can't point out anything. Clean, very friendly (without trying too hard), helpful staff, tasteful decor, and an excellent location close to China Town, Central Market, Pasar Seni Station and a supermarket. All-in-all a very good bang for your buck.

I must add that I wouldn't recommend it to families though. The walls are not soundproof and you can easily hear when your neighbours are having fun in the room next door.

Room Tip: The Standard Rooms have no TV or bathroom, but are very clean and have AC and a nice big comfy bed.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rugsak
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Just a street away from Central Market and Jalan Petaling, and less than 5 minutes walk from an MRT station, so the location was perfect! The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were basic but clean; and towels were provided. The shared bathrooms on every floor to accommodate all guests and had strong water pressure. There was also a rooftop deck if you want to relax in the afternoons. A simple breakfast was provided, along with free coffee/tea throughout the day. My brother and I had a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family