New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #20 of 331 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Singapore, Singapore
“New hotel with Very Good Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

New hotel located just 20 mins walk from KLCC. Decor is clean since it is still very new. Rooms are spacious. Most importantly is the breakfast that you should not miss. Wide spread of local food to choose from. It is like a big food centre like Marche where you can choose from different cusine of difference races like chinese, indian, malay and western food. Nearest MRT is the Ampang Park station. Just beware of the usual traffic jams of KL since it is located along the busy road of Jalan Tun Razak.

Room Tip: Higher floor are much quieter . away from the heavy traffic.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank woodstock
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Woodstock,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us especially the location, room and the buffet breakfast spread. I trust you also enjoyed our famous Doubletree cookie, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Doubletree by Hilton soon!

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melaka, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Checked in on 16 Jan 2012 at about 9 pm just for one night.
No one offered help to carry my luggage - the luggage trolleys are plenty but no bellman. Had to find my way myself to the check-in counter.
Internet is chargeable in rooms - should be better if the broadband is complimentary to guest for the amount paid.
Car park is available with ample space. Chargeable at RM10 per stay.
Breakfast has plenty of choices with western, malay, indian and chinese food selections. But tastes are not the hotel's speciality for some e.g. murtabak.
But proud to say that the waiter/waitress are very friendly!
Swimming pool is available for kids as well, but didnt have the time to spend there with my kids.
Bedroom is spacious for guest room (but no bath tub). Baby crib/cot is old fashioned for a 5-star hotel like this.
Location is good within walking distance to Ampang Park - just across the bridge. There you can buy clothes and there are plenty of restaurants - COZY, McD, Manhattan Fish.
LRT station (Ampang) is nearby for you to go to KLCC (one stop away).
But be alert by the homeless on the bridge and construction is ongoing.
Check-out was smooth and thanks for allowing me to have late check-out until 130pm.
However, for my parking ticket processing (yes, very small matter), Mr R**i & Ms W**a (under training) were confusing me and my wife with inaccurate information. Had to wait a while before being attended to, just to get a receipt! I also noticed another hotel guest had to be halted to wait for a front desk attendant since he had to go somewhere without anyone attending to it.
To the hotel management, this can be improved almost immediately.

1 Thank MF15
Dear MF15,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

Delighted to hear you enjoyed the location and the foods variety in Makan Kitchen. I have noted your comments regarding the challenges at reception and I apologize that our staff were not available to assist you with your bags. Certainly our expectation is that our staff are there to assist you and we will work on the training with the team to provide better service for all guests.

I take note of the feedback on the parking system, and we have been working with the Parking management company to improve this. Your comments have helped us to improve our guest experience and we are continuing to work with the team to improve all areas of service

I hope you will consider staying with us again and I will able to welcome you back to Doubletree by Hilton soon!

Nusa Dua, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

very good location for these hotel who have all the advantage of a Hilton with a better value for money.
The executive lounge is very convenient and the staff really excellent....
The AXIS bar is well located but there is a better place to stay.....go to the pool and have dinner at the alfresco italian restaurant...
An other good point ...the quality of the breakfast..

Dear edourdgalisson,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us especially the location, Executive Lounge, restaurants & bar, foods quality. I am happy to hear how the team looked after you.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel while on a brief business trip to KL (my first visit to the city). The staff was very nice and helpful, the food in the dining room very good, location near the center, public transportation, all the amenities were clean and well maintained. I highly recommend it and look forward to coming back.

Dear aprosenberg,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us especially the location, foods, room amenities and how the staff looked after you. I trust you also enjoyed our famous Doubletree cookie, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Doubletree by Hilton soon!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Followed my husband as he has a meeting in KL the next day. Decided to book Doubletree, we figured out since it's a Hilton group hotel, the excellent service has to be somewhat similar if not better. Arrived at around 10 pm, was surprised to see the concept of the reception/ check in area is so...open. Well it doesn't matter as long as service is efficient. And apparently it was not. Had a good 15-minute wait although there were only a few others checking in before us. 6 reception desk (inclusive of 2 HHonors for members), surely you'd think checking in was a breeze. Oh, and none of those famous Doubletree cookies served to us too.

Our room was clean and neat, love the pillows but no bathtub (seriously, for a rm400 room??!??). No free Wi-Fi, my number one pet peeve. Even a 3-star hotel has free Wi-Fi, what is the logic behind paying for the service after you've paid almost RM500 for your room per night??? It just doesn't make sense. Didn't take the room with breakfast so ordered room service for Malaysian breakfast (nasi lemak with teh tarik). Service was fairly quick, in around 30 minutes my order arrived. The rice was fragrant, but sadly the chicken was a disappointment. The menu clearly stated "Spring chicken". Well this was more like an old chicken, meat was tough and taste a bit gamey, like it's been cooked for days and just heated up/ re-fried. Hilton ALWAYS has excellent room service menu, but I guess this one is really not up to par with Hilton's, or even any 5 star hotel standards. And it's rm40. Such a waste, I could have gotten a cheaper and tastier nasi lemak else where.

We decided to check out early; this time was faster than checking in. Before checking out, I decided to rate our stay in the feedback form as usual; surprised to see the question about receiving the signature Doubletree cookies upon arrival already checked "YES". That was an outright lie.

Parking was not free. RM10 for a day's stay. Again, what's with the charge-every-single-thing concept?

I think we'll stick to our usual spot next time, thanks.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank illeuzaini
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Dear illeuzaini,

Greetings from DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedbacks on the hotel.

First please let me offer my apologies that you were treated with an undesirable level of service. The problems you mentioned with reception service and no Doubletree cookies were presented to you upon check-in have been addressed to our team. I apologize for this.

I do understand that your disappointment with the consistent problems you must feel having to experience the poor service & quality of foods. I also noted your comment regarding the necessity to provide complimentary Wi-Fi service. We are working with the team for improvement at this stage and we expect to see some improvements in this area shortly, as it is important for all guests.

Nevertheless I don’t want to review each point, as obviously your general disappointment is the main concern. I do feel that your stay was not comparable with the usual experience that our guests enjoy, and I would like to be able to try and make this right for you. Please write to me directly Ian.Barrow@hilton.com when you finalize the dates for the next trip and I will ensure we take good care of you.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your disappointing experience, and I hope we have the opportunity to provide better service in future for you.