“Cosey and pricey but good for steak and wine”
Review of Lucky Bo

Lucky Bo
Ranked #1,132 of 4,909 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

The food here is generally better than Bobo's which is right upstairs from lucky bo's. So we tend to eat here before we head for any performances at BoBo's.

The selection of steak cuts are good and the tomahawk is also good though the pricing is quite steep. What's a little different is that after they cut up the tomahawk, they take the beef fat and use it to fry up a plate of char koay teow (flat rice noodles) - which is delicious and full of beefy fatty flavour. Yummmmm....

The smoked duck with garlic crisps is also very tasty - served with a tangy fruit salad - it's an excellent starter.

Generally portion sizes are reasonable (considering the price tag).

The ambience is cosy as it is set in the quieter side of bangsar and the service is attentive.

They also have a few Asian items on their menu and I would recommend the Leng chai fish head noodle.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Had the opportunity to be treated by friends at this restaurant and I think this is the place I have had the best steak I've ever eaten - all 300gm of it! The flavours were awesome, the meat was tender and cooked to my expectations. I had mine done medium rare, and I really liked it.

We also ordered cakes for dessert. The Pandan Gula Melaka Cheesecake was okay, but my wife and I really enjoyed the Salted Caramel Cheesecake.

The restaurant's located in a row of shops with other eateries, and not being familiar with the area and knowing the reputation that Bangsar has as a favourite watering hole for after-work activities, we were pleasantly surprised by the whole subdued atmosphere of the place. It's certainly a pleasant place to spend an evening with friends or family over a nice steak and other delicious dishes. Service was very good, too.

We didn't try the fabled Tomahawk wagyu beef steak but be prepared to pay more premium prices as steaks cost upwards of RM150 each depending on the weight and marbling.

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We came here with another couple, with great expectation of a good steak night. I think that the good people at Lucky Bo know how to get the meat doneness right - we ordered medium rare and the tomahawk did came medium rare - so no issue here. What we didn't like was the meat was too charred on the outside, yes, they were "crispy", but it left an unpleasant bitter after-taste that overwhelmed the "meat" taste of a steak done to perfection. The bitter after-taste just got the better of us that towards the end of the meal, some of us just had to cut off the charred bits. I also thought the steak was a tad under seasoned with salt. I'm a firm believer that a good steak should be enjoyed at the correct doneness with just sufficient salt to draw out the flavor and that was lacking here.

We ordered other dishes on the menu. The cheese-stuffed portobello and wasabi prawns were decent, and we enjoyed the mushroom soup.

The star of the meal was, surprisingly, the roast suckling lamb shoulder. This was done to perfection, crispy skin on the outside, tender and juicy meat on the inside. And at just the right amount of smokiness.

So yes, I'll be back for the suckling lamb and will steer clear the tomahawk.

Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

Apparently it's the most value for money tomahawk in town. Ours was 1.5kg that cost rm500, shared by 5 people. We ordered another 3 mains to share, it was more than enough.

Steamboat is popular here, but I only give it 3points. It's pretty good value but the broth is very important to me, which is lacking in flavour (maybe they need to review the stock they use)

Not bad overall- worth a try.

1  Thank Piggiezmanda
Reviewed 19 January 2017

we were in lucky bo recently for a colleague's farewell dinner- a group of 8. it was all our first time here. the environment was nice & cosy & quiet, good for group dinners, outing with friends or nice date out with the partner. staff was attentive and alert, they didnt mind us asking about food/ drinks on the menu

they had tuak cocktails on their menu, which is something different from what other restaurants offer, besides that, i didnt really scrutinize the food menu as food was ordered by another colleague, but noticed the other groups that came in basically ordered the wagyu tomahawk.

we were definitely impressed with the wagyu tomahawk served. it was cooked to our liking, served with gravy and some side veggies, all well presented. the waitress even offered a complimentary bowl of char kueh teow cooked with some balance parts of the wagyu. the mash potatoes that we ordered was nice too.

however, the fried rice we ordered came in very small bowl portions and was priced at rm 8 each ( definitely overpriced) and we had to order at least 6 bowls. dessert was a disappointment as they only had cakes. i guess they need to work on their dessert menu.

the odd thing was that they charged extra for the additional bread & olive oil & vinegar we requested. i have eaten in many restaurants before, which never charge for small items like those. it kinda spoilt the mood when the waiter actually told us that they will have to charge for that item.

in summary, the wagyu will be the only reason we decide to come back.