“Clean and Convenient in Osaka”

Arietta Hotel Osaka
Ranked #30 of 333 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I recently spent two nights in this hotel returning from a conference in Kobe and enjoyed my stay. The hotel is very clean and the staff were helpful. The room was small by North American standards, but large by Japanese standards and the bathroom was quite spacious (unlike in other Japanese hotels).

The hotel is close to Hommachi subway station. This is a fairly quiet area, but it provides easy access to both the Umeda and train station and is within easy walking distance of many of the major sights and tourist areas.

Some other reviews had mentioned that the hotel was difficult to find. I had trouble at first, but it's quite simple once you know the way. I would exit Honmachi subway station from exit number 3; turn as you exit (going north on Mido-Suji) and then take an immediate right (going east on an unnamed street). The hotel is 2.5 blocks on the right hand side.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed at Arietta for one night as we were passing through Osaka. The hotel was down a cute little side street and only about a 2 minute walk from a subway stop. The staff was very nice and spoke english well. The room was clean but was definitely the smallest during our stay in Japan. It had a terrible view which just looked into an office building but we didn't really care. There were also several floors with coin-op laundry which was useful.

The location was great for walking access to Osaka touristy stuff like Dotombori which was about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. There was also a free breakfast buffet in the morning that was tasty for a quick (free) meal.

A note we did find strange was that you had to give your key back to the receptionist when leaving to go out, it wasn't a big deal but it just threw us for a loop the first time we tried to go out.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I've been there quite long ago (in 2010) but still have a great memory of this place. I went there with my mother for a round-trip of Japan. We stayed there for 2 nights in total.

It's VERY hard to find. It's hidden in a side-street perpendicular to a big main road. The sign is discreet, so it took us quite some time to find.The place is pretty, and has a slightly italian architecture style and decoration inside.

The room is rather big for Japanese standards. What striked me the most was the HUGE bathroom with groovy red-white chessboard walls. I've never seen such a huge design bathroom anywhere else in Japan, but I heard there are hotels that offer that kind of service. The rooms are perfectly clean. Maybe a tiny bit dated, but the bed was comfortable.

From what I remember, the service was very nice and could speak english. The only problem was the breakfast. Their choice wasn't interesting, even though the price was high. I got one small croissant, and a tiny coffee, that's all. We had to sit on very low chairs. I could have eaten fish and rice for breakfast, but was a bit too exotic for the European tourist I am... Calling this a breakfast buffet is overrated.

All in all, we had a very good experience there.

Room Tip: If you have the choice, rather choose one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Where_is_my_room
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My husband chose this hotel solely for the spacious room and bathroom :-) We took the twin as we are used to sleeping on a king sized bed which is uncommon in Japan unless you stay in a luxury hotel. The room was huge (by Japan standards). The front desk gave us great suggestions for places to eat as well. Ask for an udon restaurant. The namecard is in Japanese only so I don't have the name. Best udon EVER! We ate there a few times and we still miss it ;-P We tried all kinds of udon - duck, curry, cream (!)... there were all good! It's a very fancy place but not expensive at all. The only thing is they don't really speak English but the food is great! It's a must go (and must eat) if you're in the are :-)

The only not so great thing is that it's hard to find... I had to call them to ask for directions. But it's worth it!

Room Tip: Get a twin room if you need more bed space...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank b_lizard76
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The location is central and convenient for most Osaka tourist and business activities, only 5 minutes walk from Honmachi subway.
The rooms are absolutely standard business hotel rooms: tiny but spotlessly clean, functional (internet, well-appointed bathroom) but characterless, and no-frills (no coffee in room, no mini-bar etc). The only point to note is that the mattress is on the hard side of firm.
The public areas look somewhat better than usual in such hotels.
Breakfast consists of: coffee, orange juice, yoghurt, banana, croissant.
All in all, a fair deal, though nothing special.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo