“Not so good”

Shinshu Soba No Kusabue
Ranked #2 of 2,273 Restaurants in Nagano
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had a set of tempura and soba noodles. Asked for one to be vegetarian - wouldn't tag this place vegetaran friendly as they struggled when we asked, and only prepared the tempura so it wouldn't have shirmp, but the sauces where very fishy (and while a little can be ok, this was sooo fish based we couldn't enjoy). Guess its a matter of taste, but it wasn't for us. Still large portions and fair price.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is located near to the JR station and very convenient. Please be aware that the soba comes in huge portion. I missed that on the menu and overfed myself!

The soba was delicious and the texture of the soba was el dente. Apparently this restaurant is highly rated. The broth is very sweet and fragrant too! Friendly services and you can refill your drinks at the dispenser to the side of the restaurant.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

Absolutely delicious soba noodles! The restaurant is located on the third floor of the Mi do ri building it was a struggle to google maps it and also to find information in the building as everything is in Japanese. You can see the restaurant right away when you go up the stairs. The entrance looks like the first photo. The service is efficient. As soon as you sit down, you receive hot green tea right away and it is refillable as well. Food is portioned big as well which justifies the price of the meals! They also have an explanation in the menu on how to eat soba which I think add up to the experience of dining in the restaurant

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is located right at the end of the level. Inside, there are different types of seating arrangements: couples, small groups, and open seating (in the centre).

As it was a cold night around 8.30pm, there weren't many people in the restaurant, and I was one of the few patrons before closing. Despite the lateness of my arrival, the waitresses who attended to me were very professional and I did not feel a sense of being rushed to make my order, and to finish the meal I ordered. The noodles were just nicely chewy and sweet, the broth tasty, but a little salty; and the tempura in the broth adding a light, oily texture to it, culminating in a unique blend of salty and sweet. By far, this was one of the best soba I've had with fried flour bits inside. To complement my soba I had a side dish (actually an appetizer) of assorted wild seasonal mushrooms with shredded daikon (this was very good).

However, this was one of the many restaurants I've eaten soba in Nagano, and it's probably my third most favourite in the region: the first being Soba no mi in the Togakushi area, and the second a small privately owned restaurant in Karuizawa. But if you want convenient and delicious soba, this might be the restaurant for you. Of course, the caveat being that this is according to my palate so you might have a different experience :)

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Followed the advice of previous reviewers and was not disappointed. Service is prompt and courteous everywhere I have been in Japan and it remains the case here. Had the Kakiage Tempura Soba, soba with fried vegetable fritters, loved it. Getting used to beer with dinner (and a few lunches). Worth a look around the Mi do ri department store after you’ve eaten. Great place. Look for the blue curtains in the food court on level 3.