All reviews traditional kaiseki kaiseki meal unique experience baths onsen ryokan japan
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We stayed as a large group in this ryokan which was very good albeit not a ryokan in the traditional sense of the word. The rooms were comfortable although my fellow roommates kept me awake with the snoring. Apparently, the compliment was returned!

There is an in-hotel onsen which we all made daily use of. The hotel itself is well appointed and comfortable with friendly, helpful staff.

It is a curious mix of modern hotel and old-style values and traditions. some of the modernity felt a little incongruous against the backdrop of tradition as our previous halt was a traditional 15thC Ryokan in Hida but in no way did it detract from the experience.

Very good for tripping around Kyoto and some very nice eateries close by. The breakfast will really set you up for the day! Recommended.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

This was our first experience of a Japanese ryokan.

Pros:
- great location
- green tea and Japanese pancakes welcome for the adults / toys for the kids
- western breakfast available (we loved trying the traditional Japanese breakfast on our first day but were pleased to be able to switch afterwards)
- beautiful onsen
- traditional Japanese home clothes provided
- umbrellas provided for rainy days
- staff greeting at the door every time we came in

Cons:
- children under the age of 6 are treated as second-class citizens: no breakfast or even bottle of water provided - despite the fact that they are paying guests (even if at a discounted rate). We didn't know that and it came as a bad surprise. Given the price we paid per night, this is really poor and young children should not be made to feel like that
- noisy room (street side)
- very expensive

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank JulieInHvar
Reviewed 31 March 2017

While the staff was friendly and ryokan beautiful and clean, I felt it was not a "traditional Japanese ryokan experience" Years ago I stayed in a ryokan with my family and it was very different. Matsui Bekkon was geared more to what the tourist would like. Dinner was very pretty and offered several dishes to taste. However, breakfast was not served in our room and while the meal was nicely presented, there was only one dish that was tasty.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Wanderlust1926
Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

The hotel is very clean, nice rooms , great hot spring baths and a superb Japanese breakfast ....

They do not speak much English although enough for you to get by...

Very central to s lot of sites to visit

I highly recommend!!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2017

This is a review for my trip to Kyoto last year. I only stay here for one night but I will recommend this ryokan. The staffs are very nice and they help us a lot when we stay here. If you are a Chinese, you can even meet some staff who can speak Chinese so it is very helpful. The food tastes not bad and the room is large enough. The staffs even give us a pair of chopsticks and some Wagashi that is Kyoto's special. I even saw the ornamental dolls, which is I always wanted to see. Furthermore, the thing that surprised really us is we stay in the room which emperor of Japan used to stay. I highly recommend this place.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends