“Excellent Ramen”

Ranked #77 of 15,871 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Shinkyogoku Shopping District
Description: Ippudo, our ramen restaurant, was first established in 1985 in Hakata, Fukuoka. Currently in 2017, we have over 100 stores throughout Japan. In 1990, our founder, Shigemi Kawahara, entered the Hall of Fame for winning the the ramen competition of the show, "TV Champion" three consecutive times. Then in 2005, he gained the title "Noodle King" after coming in 1st in the "Largest Ramen Competition in History to Decide the Noodle King". In 2008, our first store outside of Japan was opened in New York. Now, we have stores in London, Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Sydney, and in other countries all around the world, totaling 60 stores. Ippudo is the force driving the global ramen fever. We innovate and build the "global standard of ramen shops" all over the world by ensuring not only our delicious tasting ramen but also our great service and atmosphere. We will continue to share our authentic tonkotsu ramen, that we have pursued to the highest quality, throughout the world.
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Ramen in Japan is so much better than it is in the US, and Ippudo proves it. The broth here is great, as are the yummy egg noodles and cha su. Service is quick; there are handy baskets under the seats where you can place your coat and other belongings. We only tried this place toward the end of our trip--otherwise we would have gone back more than once!

Date of visit: November 2012
Write a reviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed 29 November 2012

My partner loved the ramen here more than I did. Found it much better than the ones in Singapore, both noodles and soup.
Easiest way to find the restaurant is from from the back-sided of Daimaru and the restaurant is on the left-side, opposite Starbucks.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Staff was quick and friendly and the food was really good. We burned a lot of calories exploring Kyoto but I could barely finish my lunch here because you get lots of food. The place was clean, the food was good and the price was a great value.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Now this was my first ramen experience I have ever had, but if there was any indication from the line spiraling out the door, my opinion should be spot on. My father and I went here for lunch one afternoon and not only did the servers speak some English, they also had an English menu! We both went with one of the specials in which you receive a bowl of white rice, some dumplings and what I am going to guess is either a bowl of soy based ramen or pork stock base ramen. I had the latter and it was pretty much amazing. Quick service, great food, and full bellies- what more could you ask for!

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I admit I'm only a dumb gaijin, but they serve by far the best ramen I've ever had - in Kyoto or elsewhere. Been here several times and always came out with tantalized taste buds. Simply great!

Date of visit: September 2012