“Surprisingly Good Vietnamese”

Price range: USD 9 - USD 89
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: Our noodles for the pho is home made, and we offer three types of pho, along with our hot pot. Huong Viet is popular to the Vietnamese, travelers from foreign countries and to the foreigners that live in Kyoto. We serve you basic Vietnamese cuisine to cuisine that is eaten in the alleys of Vietnam.Our speciality is from Pho, to Hot Pot, and we also serve a variety of Corriander cuisine and lemon grass cuisine. If you are in Kyoto, please check us out!
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Tiem an Huong Viet is small, quirky little restaurant in a charming neighbourhood, with only about five tables and a kind of shabby/warm feel. The lunch menu had options ranging from ¥800 - 1500 (for sets), which is about average. Tea was free.

I had the bun cha, which could have done with a greater quantity and less fatty pork, but was overall pretty good. The spring rolls, noodles and coriander salad were great. It tasted very similar to what I've eaten in Hanoi, which one assumes is the aim. The service was prompt and the owner friendly.

I'm glad I hadn't read any of the poor reviews (which seem to be mostly about dinner) before visiting for lunch, as it might have put my off from what was a perfectly good reasonably priced meal. I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

We were in the area and looked for a place to eat and didn't check the reviews before. We were disappointed of our meal. We took the Hanoi BBQ noodle, which was on the lunch menu of the day. It was not edible, there was no meat, only fat. The fish sauce had no taste. We ate the cold vermicelli with sriracha sauce... It cannot be considered Vietnamese cuisine. Don't go for the food but maybe for a drink only. The staff is nice and friendly.

Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stopped in here after walking all day and working up an appetite. We came across this place and immediately we're drawn to the outside atmosphere which had a quaint little seating area with lights, the sort of place you'd wanna sit for a dinner and beer while enjoying the weather. We were quite disappointed in the selection and even more so when we got our food. The price to quality was terrible. She ordered shrimp which had a sort of dry rub on them but made them just about inedible since you had to brush off all the giant flakes of spice. My chicken I ordered was incredibly dry and flavorless. And we had to order sides like rice separate. So it's dinner prices for small portions without sides. Then we were told we couldn't order just water with our meals which it unheard of, especially since we ordered food. I wondered if the unfair treatment was because we were foreigners. So I ordered tea which was expensive for such a tiny amount of water with a tea bag in a pot. Essentially I paid like $5 for a tea bag. So the outside was cute, but quite misleading on quality. Avoid this place and spend your money elsewhere.

Reviewed 28 May 2015 via mobile

Went there for dinner for a small meal. We both ordered Pho - 800 yen each. No drinks. Our bill came to 2460 yen. Apparently the prices listed don't include tax, and there is a 300 yen per person fee to sit. Neither of these were written anywhere or explained to us - it was simply added to the bill.
When I explained that I was unhappy, the staff laughed at me. Don't bother!

2  Thank Hrrgor
Reviewed 18 May 2015

I thought that the food and atmosphere of the restaurant were both good. I went with my friends and we all enjoyed the experience.