“Great experience to stay in this beautiful ryokan!”
Review of Gion Yoshi-ima

Gion Yoshi-ima
Ranked #89 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Singapore, Singapore
“Great experience to stay in this beautiful ryokan!”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Service was good, package included breakfast and dinner which tasted very good. Such a nice treat to be served in your room, from needing the bed, setting up the breakfast table and meals, and finally in the evening, the hotel staff sets up the futon for a good night's sleep. Quite pricey but very good experience to live the Japanese way for a few days. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Also joined their complimentary tea ceremony (which you would usually have to pay and book in other places), very interesting! Tasted very freshly made green tea and small dessert. Lovely! Very relaxing place. Also had a small veranda (covered) in our room, so it's nice to just sit and watch the view of the street, quiet one.

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank ithaca12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I stayed here a few years back with a friend during my first trip to kyoto and loved it. Thus I was super excited to come back again. Yet this time I was a bit disappointed. We opted to use the train to get to the hotel which was not the best of ideas. The directions on the website were not clear and we ended up at the wrong exit.

When I called for directions the original person on the phone did not speak English at a high enough level to understand me and when she put the owner who did speak a high level of English on the phone he didn't have a clue where we were. Thankfully after asking a few people in my broken Japanese we were able to figure it out. If coming here on your own (not with the JTB or tour) TAKE A CAB.

Our room was smaller than the one I had been in before and not quite as clean as I had remembered. There was a large stain on the carpet in the sitting room and the screen on the door to the garden came off the slider when moved. Mold was on the bathroom tiles. I understand this is an old hotel the management should be making sure to perceive it for the future. When I had stayed before I had gotten the impression that this Ryokon was aimed towards foreign visitors to Japan thus the high level of English and the tour of the hotel.

This time around the staff, although really nice, didn't not have much English language skills. I was able to get some things across with the help of some broken Japanese and the staff generally tired to use some English but for some things the owner/manger had to be called in to speak with us in English. That being said I give Yoshi Ima an A+++ for service the staff were super nice and friendly (even for Japan) and even serviced us our meal earlier ,so we could catch our tour, and later, due to being a bit late, than the assigned times. Our maid was very sweet and made small talk with us making us feel welcome.

Overall The Japanese food may not be what a foreigner in Japan wants to or is used to eating so be ready for that when it's dinner time. I found the Japanese breakfast enjoyable and huge but the western one small and bland. The location of this can't be beat as it's right in the middle of gion. Go out and explore after dinner. You should expect to get a tour of the hotel and tea ceremony while you stay. Keep in mind that the hotel is very old and some of the rooms are small and may let in mosquitoes during the summer months. It is not a suitable place for small children or those with mobility problems (you will be sleeping, sitting and eating on the floor).

Still, I'd come back to Yoshi Ima in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gittelbug
msp
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I booked this with Japanican with Shinkansen tickets from Tokyo. I was a bit hesitant given the reviews here, but I really enjoyed my stay.
I had been to Kyoto several times and decided it was time to stay in a ryokan. My trip (which I did not realize) was over the Gion Matsuri festival.
My single room consisted of a tatami mat room with a low table and a chair back (no legs), TV, basic bath (toilet and shower/tub). A futon was laid out at night.
The staff spoke enough english that I understood everything. Yes you leave your shoes at the front door, wear slippers in the hall, and only stocking feet in the tatami room.
I arrived at 4 pm and was asked what time I wanted dinner and whether I wanted a western or Japanese breakfast (I went for the Japanese and did not regret it) and the time. The only issue then is you are locked into those times. The food I thought was VERY high quality. One night I had sort of a Kaiseki dinner of different foods (sashimi, tempura, grilled fish, etc). The next night was beef sukiayki.
The entire staff was really nice. Most spoke enough English and some excellent English. I had 2 different maids on the 2 nights I stayed there that brought meals-- both were really nice. All in all, I think the Gion Yoshi-Ima is a good choice IF you want a ryokan experience. It is different than a hotel. I am glad I stayed there, And all in all, I think it is a pretty good value given the quality of the meals served.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank cliburn
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The "traditional Japanese" is in fact a rather low level facility, such as you may find in a third world country. The room has no chair, no desk, no place to relax until the fouton bed is laid down for the night.

Most objectionable is that the meals are served in your room. She cooked the supper which was tasty but which left the room smelling kitchen all night! i found this disgusting!

In short: overpriced, uncomfortable.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank hoofer2010
New York, NY
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I am writing this review from the perspective of a Western traveler who stayed at a ryokan for the novelty experience only. I would recommend reading up on exactly what goes on at such a hotel if you aren't aware. It's a very different way of spending a night.

Having never stayed at a ryokan before (and not since), it's difficult to compare this one to others. So, I will say that I enjoyed this hotel, but almost solely for the service, which I suppose is the main benefit of a ryokan.

Our dinner was a great experience, despite me not knowing half of what I was eating. What I did know of what I was eating was excellent. There were about 15 small courses and they were all beautifully presented in the peaceful setting of our room. The service was exceptional, and the man who runs the place speaks great English, which is a bigger bonus than I would have thought.

The location was perfect, by the way. Within walking distance to most of Kyoto's east side attractions, and pretty much right in the middle of the nightlife scene.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends