Nishijin Textile Center

from USD 172.90
from USD 71.10
from USD 112.00
More Info
All reviews fashion show great place to learn gift shop small museum tour group rainy day silk textiles fabric weaving kimono model loom souvenirs japan collection dressing
Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

A really great place to visit. The first floor museum has silks from the 13th century onwards and the kimono phrase was wonderful. Be there early to beat the crowds. These are both FREE.

You can also dress in authentic silk kimonos or
Weave small or large pieces of silk as well as other Activites.

1  Thank James C
Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

A brief 10 minute Kimono show then down the stairs to the center for a large shopping area of a variety of things and souvenirs.
Then down to the ground floor to a restaurant if you are so inclined or on your way.

1  Thank Mars1964
Reviewed 14 March 2018

I recently did a hand weaving class and really enjoyed it. It was great using the tools and learning how to make a little memento from my trip. The Kimono show, while short, is also good to take in and you will get a brief introduction to the different Kimono types. The museum provides you with some general history and was actually good for my interest level. The shop has a range of different gifts to purchase, both expensive and reasonable in price. The restaurant also provides a nice lunch. Worth a little visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

We went here specifically to find some affordable Yukata (an informal relaxed lounging kimono, a bit like a western summer dressing gown) not masses of them but all very nice and around the 4500-6000¥ much more affordable than most places and sizes to suit westerners. It is called a textile market but essentially it is a shop on the top floor selling souvenirs, and second hand items from cloth to kimonos. The bottom floor has a small display on the nishinjin textile history and processes, a cafe and souvenir sweet foods. There is also a kimono show around once to twice an hour (on our Saturday visit) although we missed it I'm sure It's a great chance to see the details of these exquisite peices when worn especially if you haven't opted to take tea with a maiko-san or geiko-san during your stay.

In summary if you're looking to purchase some textiles, Yukata or kimonos it is well worth a visit. If you just want a museum tour then it won't be worth the trip, although if you are in the area especially on a rainy day it would be worth a look.

5  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Nishijin Textile Center was a brief one hour stop during my travels. I wanted to check out their textiles because I heard Kyoto was the leading city for kimono manufacturing. I heard that this center had good souvenirs whether you wanted to buy kimonos for discounted prices or scarves and fans made from the same materials.

The store itself felt very much like a museum than a store. I saw a whole bunch of souvenir items but they seemed much more pricier than I expected so I ended up just walking around and browsing for the longest time. I was just about to leave but was surprised that they do amateur kimono fashion shows! It was only 10 minutes but that was the most enjoyable part of my whole visit. I rarely remember anything else.

So just enjoy browsing around until the fashion show starts. It's actually quite nice and the kimonos are gorgeous. I always knew they were so intricate and delicate but they are definitely much more elegant than I imagined. I had a good time. Enjoy!

3  Thank eugenia27