Nishijin Textile Center

from USD 71.30
from USD 59.90
from USD 121.60
More Info
All reviews fashion show great place to learn gift shop small museum tour group rainy day silk textiles fabric weaving kimono model loom souvenirs japan collection dressing
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

We went here specifically to find some affordable Yukata (an informal relaxed lounging kimono, a bit like a western summer dressing gown) not masses of them but all very nice and around the 4500-6000¥ much more affordable than most places and sizes to suit westerners. It is called a textile market but essentially it is a shop on the top floor selling souvenirs, and second hand items from cloth to kimonos. The bottom floor has a small display on the nishinjin textile history and processes, a cafe and souvenir sweet foods. There is also a kimono show around once to twice an hour (on our Saturday visit) although we missed it I'm sure It's a great chance to see the details of these exquisite peices when worn especially if you haven't opted to take tea with a maiko-san or geiko-san during your stay.

In summary if you're looking to purchase some textiles, Yukata or kimonos it is well worth a visit. If you just want a museum tour then it won't be worth the trip, although if you are in the area especially on a rainy day it would be worth a look.

5  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Nishijin Textile Center was a brief one hour stop during my travels. I wanted to check out their textiles because I heard Kyoto was the leading city for kimono manufacturing. I heard that this center had good souvenirs whether you wanted to buy kimonos for discounted prices or scarves and fans made from the same materials.

The store itself felt very much like a museum than a store. I saw a whole bunch of souvenir items but they seemed much more pricier than I expected so I ended up just walking around and browsing for the longest time. I was just about to leave but was surprised that they do amateur kimono fashion shows! It was only 10 minutes but that was the most enjoyable part of my whole visit. I rarely remember anything else.

So just enjoy browsing around until the fashion show starts. It's actually quite nice and the kimonos are gorgeous. I always knew they were so intricate and delicate but they are definitely much more elegant than I imagined. I had a good time. Enjoy!

3  Thank eugenia27
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at an airbnb that had bikes for us to use so we spent an entire day doing a "self-guided" bike tour of Kyoto! We had just spent a week in Bali so were a little "templed-out" and wanted to check out some different experiences in Japan. This was the best! We went here to get a kimono for me and we ended up getting a child's size because I preferred the shorter length - I think the staff were very concerned that we didn't know we were buying a child's size kimono and kept telling me I was "too big." I didn't take it personally. We then were just in time for a kimono fashion show, which was awesome to see and we were definitely the only tourists there so that made it even better! Definitely a great stop to make while in Kyoto!

Reviewed 28 July 2017

The center itself was a bit boring to be candid.
First floor has a cafeteria and sells traditional sweets.
Second floor has souvenirs, nice but expensive. The textile products for sale like scarfs are very nice, but all very expensive. There is one machine that looks awesome, but no explanation in English and nobody there to talk about it, so it's a nice exhibit but no real learning from it. If you are looking to buy a kimono it might be a good option, because they sell high-end second hand items.
Third floor has a small museum with incredible textile pieces of art.
The highlight was the kimono fashion show, which is free and lasts only 10 minutes, so it's great for ladies and doable for the gents (LOL).

3  Thank FlyWithKids
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed the 10 minute kimono fashion show and very small museum. The kimonos are overpriced but interesting things in their gift store. Worth a quick look if in the neighborhood but wouldn't go out of your way to see this.