All reviews nijo station enjoyed my stay comfortable beds castle curtains yen supermarket subway
Reviewed 19 February 2013

It's been 1 and a half years since my stay, I should have reviewed on this guesthouse earlier because it was Sooooooo GOOD.

I got a lot of time before I went to Fukushima for some sorts of disaster relief project, so I decided to stop at Kyoto for a few days, it’s always been my favourite destination.

The guest house was perfect indeed: super clean and spotless everywhere, and then the room was spacious enough for my large suitcase, with good ventilation too. Comfy bed, with curtain that gave you enough privacy but when you wanted to chit-chat with other travellers you could always go down where the owners would join you and give you travel ideas or tell you more about their culture, and they did keep some beer and other drinks that you could buy at normal price if you are in need of Asahi at midnight.

Now I don't even remember how long my stay was, probably a week or so, but I remember how nice the owners were, I could say they had treated me and other guests wholeheartedly, we (owners and me and other guests) even went out once or twice together drinking at Mr Kanso (a drinking place at walkable distance) Not easy you could find guest house owners or staff who would spend their rest time with the guests, especially when they work long hours and all year round.

I would consider this guest house experience memorable, and during my stay I had also made some friends that I still contact and see now.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank vicki c
Reviewed 26 December 2012

This place is so cute, and really a well kept secret that many local Japanese tourists stay at.

Situated about a 5 min walk away from JR Nijo station - it is a super clean and small hostel. Very pretty design, floorboards are all unpolished japanese cedar and rooms are super clean and have curtains for a bit a privacy in a dorm. The owners are very kind and speak good English and the living room has a nice TV and a surround sound system so you can plug your iPod in for some atmospheric music :)

Other bonuses include an onsen just around the corner, CHEAP bike hire (500 yen a day) and kitchen facilities.

I would highy recommend staying here if you are staying in Kyoto

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tian T
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed here in August of 2011 for about 3-4 weeks. The place itself is wonderful-very clean, nicely decorated, and overall very nice. There was a kitchen available, free wi-fi access, bike rentals, a computer with internet if you did not have your own, etc. During my stay there were not very many foreigners so it was nice to hear Japanese coversation in the background all the time. The locations is in a more quiet neighborhood, about 5 min of a walk from the local train station in which you can easily access the rest of Kyoto. Some of the other reviewers mentioned the rules most of which I was perfectly fine with as this was my first and only guesthouse experiance but not being allowed in the hostel between 10am (or 11? I am leaning toward 10) till 4pm was not helpful in a few cases for me. There is a curfew though if you let them know ahead of time that you will be late they will give you the lock combination to let yourself back in. My only other complaint is that they wanted me (and all their guests as stated on their website) to pay in full upon arrival. For most people that is fine as most people only stayed a few days, but I was staying for almost a month so that mean paying nearly a thousand dollars at once. Upon arrival I tried to talk to them into paying on a weekly basis (although I did not do this well) but they still wanted it in full. After walking a good 15-20min to get to an atm (that would accept a foreign debit card), I found that I could not withdraw more than $500 because of my bank's limit on withdrawals. When I explained the situation, they said I could stay for that night and pay the next day which I did. It still would have been nice if we could have worked something else out. I personally found the hostel owners decently polite and nice but not super super friendly and such as some of the other reviewers have found them. This might have partly been because we probably would not be the type to hang out with each other if we were put in the same room or anything. Overall I appreciate that they allowed me to stay with them for as long as I did and would probably recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a hostel that is not right next to all the touristy areas. Also the price is very very good for what they offer.The nearby Sanjyoukai Shoutengai is also a nice place to walk around and look at and eat random stuff.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Juniperarrow
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Roujiya is the best place to be if you stay in Kyoto!! You would feel like as if you lived in Kyoto.The owner are very kind and they can offer a good insight into kyoto city as well as some insider's tips on the best place to go.And the facilities are spotless. I'd strongly recommend Roujiya !!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ryochi T
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Kaori and Nao own this wonderful hostel, though it feels more like a home when you're there! They were more than helpful in every way possible, and gave me recommendations of places to go both in Kyoto and when traveling Japan (their recommendations were excellent by the way). The hostel is located in a great location right below Nijo Castle, and it's particularly easy to get around with the bike they lend you for 500 yen (cheapest I've seen). The setting in the hostel is perfect for meeting other travelers, though mellow enough to keep to yourself if you prefer. Although there was a curfew in the afternoon until 4:00pm, you'll be surprised by how squeaky clean everything is for you when you arrive (I have never seen cleaner bathrooms in my life)!

Thanks Kaori and Nao for being wonderful hosts, and thanks Nao for the recommendations in Osaka, I can't wait to check them out!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo